Smell?

Charlie97L

ok, with my newly installed 90, that's doing well... almost done (more rock and sand going in this weekend)

i get the musty humid smell like you get in some of the lfs... any suggestions? it's not bad, but it is a little offputting at first. hard to describe. it doesn't smell like dying things or anything... just strong.

i know a) running carbon will help, and b) i've heard putting a bag of carbon on top of the skimmer cup will help.

any validity to those ideas? also, any other suggestions?

maybe a dumb thing, but try putting an air freshener in the room iteself, as well as using the carbon on the skimmer.

the humid musty smell is probably stagnant air, putting a fan in there or a good CFM vent will help the most.

If the smell is coming from the skimmer cup, forget the carbon bag on top... here is what you need to do.

Add just a touch of Kalk to the cup after you clean it. This will raise the PH to a level that kills those bacteria that cause the smell. You will litterally pickle the poop.

If it is just a new tank in the cycle process... open a window for another week or 2.

If the smell is coming from the skimmer cup, forget the carbon bag on top... here is what you need to do.

Add just a touch of Kalk to the cup after you clean it. This will raise the PH to a level that kills those bacteria that cause the smell. You will litterally pickle the poop.

If it is just a new tank in the cycle process... open a window for another week or 2.

it's not a new tank that's cycling... i'll try that. thanks!

Light a match :smokin:

haha, i tried the kalk powder last night. i'll have to wait until i get home tonight to see how well it worked, as i get used to the smell pretty quickly once i'm upstairs.