Tank size recommendations

rsarvis

Hi, I'm a newbie looking for a little help. I am planning on buying a 150gal aquarium (hopefully tomorrow!), but I'd like to hear some pros and cons on dimensions. There are two tanks I'm considering now; one is slightly taller, deeper (front to back), and shorter (left to right) (48"L x 24"W x 30"H), the other is long but narrower and slightly shorter (72"L x 18"W x 28"H). What do you all prefer? Is one easier to maintain, easier to aquascape, easier to make look good, easier to keep certain types of fish/coral in? Is it simply a matter of taste? Any thoughts and advice would be helpful.

Also, does anyone have any comments on Annandale SuperPets? That's the place where I was looking at the two aquariums. I'll check out Wally's, too, since I live between the two. Any thoughts would be appreciated, including other stores that might have more options or cheaper prices.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to WAMAS :cheers:

A 30" deep tank can be a bit hard to work over on a daily basis. If this is your first marine tank I would honestly get a 24" deep tank at the maximum. If you have the room for a 72" tank I would consider a 180 that is 72x24x24, this is not too deep and has a good front to back depth for aquascaping. If that sounds a little big, I would go with a 120 which is 48x24x24, I have never heard anyone with that tank regret the size (with the only exception is wishing they had a 180 :) ). I would honestly go big since you were already prepared for 150 whats an extra 30 gallons. Another thing to consider is that a deeper tank requires stronger (read expensive) lighting.

Deciding wheather to buy a tank from Super Petz or Wallys is really a no brainer :wink: . Wallys is cheaper first of all. Second, they contribute to the WAMAS community. Good luck.

Dan

I made a lot of mistakes with my first tank. And then I made a lot more mistakes when I thought I had it all figured out. Six years after starting I bought a 180G tank and made slightly fewer mistakes. Cost does go up with volume. I would argue for starting with something like a 55, 75, or 90G tank. Maybe 120 max.

I would go with the 180 from Walleys. That way you can stock the tank at will and not have as many changes in the water parameters. The afore mentioned 55s would make a great sump and the 75 would make a great refugium, lots of water. Personally, I try to match the volume of water with fish with the volume of water without fish-more or less. Can't go wrong with a big sump and a big refugium with macro algea.

I'll 1st it!

I love my 30" deep tank.

anything shorter looks squatty.

I agree with someone that has your amount of experience and a display that has been set up for 8+ years, your not likely fiddling with things too much at this point. I'm trying myself to decide between 24 and 30 for my next tank. I do think for my first tank I know I changed the aquascaping at least 30 times and was always pulling things I dropped off the bottom, this would have killed me with a 30" tank. Also since you are 6' 9" tall this helps with a deeper tank :).

I agree with the 2x2xL recommendation. I just think 18" is too limiting as far as aquascaping. You will want adequate swimming room for fish, space b/n the glass and the rockwork for cleaning, space under the stand . . .

As far as length, bigger is always better, but don't underestimate the cost. More rock, more sand (if you choose it), bigger lighting set up, bigger skimmer, etc. . . . it adds up fast. In other words, just keep in mind that the difference between a 120G and a 180G is much more than just the price of the tank & stand. At some point you may also have to start considering how your floor will support the weight.

That said, I recommend you base your decision on what type of fish you want to keep - especially if you are considering tangs. If you have your heart set on multiple tangs, or one of the larger species, you will need the bigger tank.

I went with a 2x2x5 tank and am very happy with the dimensions. It was a good compromise for my needs/desires/budget (although my wife wouldn't agree with the last). :blush: