majano's

guppychao

Help, besides injecting with a mix of hot water and calc, any other methods?

what commercial products has anyone used?

What fish would eat these things?

any advise would be great, thanks

mostly because if they decide to sprea, they are as virulent as apastasia. not to mention they spread the same ways, they just happen to get bigger so they are a tad easier to remove. i have two in my tank that have resisted numerous kalkings, so they are hardier than apastaisa as well in my experiances.

ill get them one of these days though :P

Unlike aptasia, majano are 'firmer' and do not turn to goo if you try to remove them. I have been successful at removing them by taking the rock out, sitting on the deck with a shallow container of saltwater and taking a small flat blade screwdriver and getting under the base to pop them off. Even in tight areas this worked.

Don't go into the body, get under it.

I'm curious about the whole kalk and vinegar thing. As a person with moderate scientific knowledge I understand that vinegar is an acid of around 4.3 pH and kalk is a base. Combining the two results in a chemical reaction which more or less brings the free calcium ions (or something to that effect) into solution so that they are more "bio-available". At the same time, the vinegar and base more or less neutralize each other and the end result is a solution that is a saturated solution of vinegar and kalk, effectively creating a neutral solution at around 7 or so pH. The remaining kalk is now a colloid. When it is injected into an anemone, it's basically like shooting it up with kalk, lots of free calcium ions, some neutral water, and phosphates (from what I understand, vinegar is high in phosphates/PO4?). Wouldn't the whole thing be more effective with simply using boiling RO/DI water alone or mixed with kalk or even injecting with straight vinegar? From what I understand the whole idea is to basically disrupt the organisms by drastically changing their pH or simply boiling them and I'm wondering if the kalk/vinegar is not effective in comparison to the other options.

Anyway, just a question as I haven't really had a problem - knock on wood - with Majanos.

I'm curious about the whole kalk and vinegar thing. As a person with moderate scientific knowledge I understand that vinegar is an acid of around 4.3 pH and kalk is a base. Combining the two results in a chemical reaction which more or less brings the free calcium ions (or something to that effect) into solution so that they are more "bio-available". At the same time, the vinegar and base more or less neutralize each other and the end result is a solution that is a saturated solution of vinegar and kalk, effectively creating a neutral solution at around 7 or so pH. The remaining kalk is now a colloid. When it is injected into an anemone, it's basically like shooting it up with kalk, lots of free calcium ions, some neutral water, and phosphates (from what I understand, vinegar is high in phosphates/PO4?). Wouldn't the whole thing be more effective with simply using boiling RO/DI water alone or mixed with kalk or even injecting with straight vinegar? From what I understand the whole idea is to basically disrupt the organisms by drastically changing their pH or simply boiling them and I'm wondering if the kalk/vinegar is not effective in comparison to the other options.

Anyway, just a question as I haven't really had a problem - knock on wood - with Majanos.

ive never mixed vinewgar and kalk when dosing pest anemones. one or the other, as for the reaction the ph helps but your trying to disrupt functions my scerewing up its osmotic balance as well and that breaks the cellular walls killing it.

the pastes of kalk or other solutions ppl make are similar in idea. jhust disrupt the natural balancing act they do.

Is there some enzyme that could be used to break down the tissues that tyou could use to break down the cellular structure of th anem, that wouldn't spead though out the tank?