150 gal reef tank w/o skimmer

rmoyer001

I am new to the hobby and when I bought my 150 gal tank the skimmer sold to me didnt fit into the sump. The tank has been running about two months and the water tests seem to be all good. Has anyone ever run a reef tank without a skimmer. I have heard some say it can be done, but takes a lot of experience. I have both hard and soft corals in there.

you can run a tank with no skimmer but it will be substantially more difficult. you will have to do more water changes more often. especially if you plan to add sps corals which require a lower nutrient content. having a skimmer isnt mandatory but it makes running the tank alot easier and i would recommend that you at least get a cheap skimmer rather than running nothing. also you have to consider your fish load. if you have a a tang or more. things like that will make it even more difficult. hope this helps

Honestly, you can find people who will say you're bound for failure if you don't run a skimmer and people who will say that you'll have greater success without a skimmer, and then you can find people who are in between. I have run very successful reef tanks skimmerless and I have successful tanks with skimmers. I have run unsuccessful tanks with and without skimmers as well. Everything depends on everything else - how much you feed, how much waste is created in your system, the bioload, the maintenance schedule, etc. No real answer, but the skimmer will get some of the gunk out of your system and keep it cleaner overall.

You can also put your skimmer up for sale/trade and get one that will fit in your sump or even run externally (hang-on or free standing). After seeing what a good skimmer will pull out of your water I will never be without a skimmer.

Thanks to everyone. I did return it when it didnt fit. My stand is custom built so i just need to find one that will fit. I think I definetly need one, cause there is visible gunk in the sump.

Here's an article about skimming: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Buy a good quality skimmer - http://www.proteinskimmer.com/ That's just one example. The folks with larger tanks should have some more suggestions. (I have one of the Remoras hanging on my 30.) You can sometimes find a used one for sale locally when people break down their tanks so check here, at RC, Craigslist, etc.