10Gallon

Guest anthony

Guest anthony

I'm starting a project with a 10gallon tank. I have not done a nano tank before so i need a little help :biggrin: . if anyone has any tips to give me or advise i would greatly appreciate it, so far the only thing i have right now if a 10 gallon tank please let me know what i should get or look into and what to have and what not to have it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Guest anthony

well i do to a certain degree but, really not too much. i am aware that it would be better to do freshwater or have a bigger tank but having this 10gallon tank and turn it into a nice saltwater tank is something i really want to do....i guess its just the idea of a nano tank that sounds cool to me im not sure.

Anthony,

Welcome aboard and I hope you get alot of off our website and take the time to join soon! Maybe in time to join us at the Baltimore Aquarium 18Nov?

I had a tank at my office which was a 10g unit. Issues that you will need to consider:

#1 Heat, small tank depending on where you have it placed will fluctuate ALOT! Algae problems are something that you will need to consider and a good heater as well

#2 Lighting, I used a Coralife 96w PC Setup for around $85. that worked great

#3 Water changes need to be made regularly and need to keep RO/DI water and Saltwater handy all the time. Remember 1 gallon evaporation isn't much in a large tank, but that 10% of your water supply in this!!

#4 With a small tank, everything can happen FAST and you need to keep up on it.

#5 Don't over load the tank with alot of fish. Docile tank mate and only a couple of fish or so.

It was a great tank to keep and I used a single MaxiJet 1200 for the power head and a RedSea Turbo HOB Skimmer which was rated for a 100g system.

Guest anthony

Anthony,

Welcome aboard and I hope you get alot of off our website and take the time to join soon! Maybe in time to join us at the Baltimore Aquarium 18Nov?

I had a tank at my office which was a 10g unit. Issues that you will need to consider:

#1 Heat, small tank depending on where you have it placed will fluctuate ALOT! Algae problems are something that you will need to consider and a good heater as well

#2 Lighting, I used a Coralife 96w PC Setup for around $85. that worked great

#3 Water changes need to be made regularly and need to keep RO/DI water and Saltwater handy all the time. Remember 1 gallon evaporation isn't much in a large tank, but that 10% of your water supply in this!!

#4 With a small tank, everything can happen FAST and you need to keep up on it.

#5 Don't over load the tank with alot of fish. Docile tank mate and only a couple of fish or so.

It was a great tank to keep and I used a single MaxiJet 1200 for the power head and a RedSea Turbo HOB Skimmer which was rated for a 100g system.

thank you very much for the input. a question i had though reguarding the "regular water changes" is how often? like once or twice a week or what?

also what would be a good estimate as to how many fish i could have in a 10 gallon tank if i had some coral and shimp as well?

Edited by anthony

I would say 10% twice a week, or if you are lazy 20% once a week. As far as fish goes, I would only have a max of 2 in a 10g. 2 small fish and a shrimp would be ok.

Guest anthony

I would say 10% twice a week, or if you are lazy 20% once a week. As far as fish goes, I would only have a max of 2 in a 10g. 2 small fish and a shrimp would be ok.

ok cool, and do you think i could fit in some coral as well?

Yes. Corals dont add to the bioload like fish. You can add what you like.

But you will have to keep an eye out for compatbility in terms of:

* corals that develop sweeper tentacles need a certain distance from others

- frogspawn

- galaxea

- brains

- others

* corals that carry toxins can kill other corals in the small water volume quickly

- sinularia

- other softies to varying degrees

I use to have a 10g nano and would stick with two small fish.

I had three (clown, stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel) fish and was doing only 10% every two weeks. Because of the heavier bioload, I did have some minor algae problems.

If you haven't bought the tank yet, I would consider a 15g tall. Same footprint as the 10g, only a bit taller.

Also, you'll need to have topoff water on hand at all times. I was manually topping-off every other day due to evap.

Guest anthony

I use to have a 10g nano and would stick with two small fish.

I had three (clown, stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel) fish and was doing only 10% every two weeks. Because of the heavier bioload, I did have some minor algae problems.

If you haven't bought the tank yet, I would consider a 15g tall. Same footprint as the 10g, only a bit taller.

Also, you'll need to have topoff water on hand at all times. I was manually topping-off every other day due to evap.

ok thanks, i do have the 10 gallon I bought a while back and wanted to make that into a saltwater tank. i have been having second thoughts though because i do not have quite that much practice with saltwater and if im gonna do a nano it will deffinitly be harder to keep stable then keeping a freshwater tank.