Why does it goes to 80?

Caribbean Jake

Hi Everyone

I am having problems with my 135 gal reef tank temperature.  When the MH turn on (3 bulbs, 175W each, 13K) the temp goes from 77 to 80 or 81 degrees.  I added two small fans at each end of the fixture (Hamilton Light fixture with 3 MH 175 and 2 VHO Actinic 72"), and took off some of the wood on the canopy top but still have the temp problem.

I don't want to spend on a chiller cause it's too much for me right now.  I also took the ballasts out from under the stand and put them on the side of the tank away from it all.  The sump pump is under the tank inside the stand.  But I still have the temp problem.

What can I do next?  What do you suggest?

Jacob

Guest Kimo

Jacob -

If you increase the evaporation of the tank then the temperature will go down.  You can try putting a fan blowing directly on the water, either the display or the sump will work.  You will have to be more diligent about top-off, since the tank will evaporate more.

Hope to help.

Jamie

Guest bill33
what size are these fans???, maybe you need to get biggerfans

The fans are the standard 4" square type that fit at the end of light fixtures.  We got two of them, one at each end blowing in on same direction, east to west.

Should I put them oposite to each other blowing out?  I mean both looking (blowing air) out of the tank instead?  And how high should the liht fixture be, they are at 13" above top?

Jacob

Guest bill33
im not sure on the hight, i have fans on my nano 1 pointing at the bulb blowing air and the other sucking air out.  since you have 3 175 mh, you might need to get more fans

The distance of the fixture is fine.  The cooling mostly comes from evaporation- not displacement of heat put off by the fans.  In summer it becomes far more difficult for 2 reasons- first being heat outside, and second- more of a factor on how well this method works, is the increase in humidity in the air.  As it is more humid, evaporation is less.  

However, is the back open at all?  Any holes in the top?  the moist air needs to escape, and heat rises- 2 things to think about.  Finally, 4: fans are pretty week when you need some serious cooling.  Go to walmart and pick up a mountable or clip on type fan for $10 and rig it under the tank blowing directly on the sump.  Likewise you could also take 4"computer fans and rig them down there as well.  Most stands are open in the back, so plenty of room for the air to escape.  

All that said, a final thing to think about-

Are the corals affected by 81?  Any bleaching, loss of expansion, ect....  My tank usually runs at 81-82F.  I don't start to get concerned until I hit 84, and worried at 86.  Observation of the corals will answer the question for you.

Michael

my tank swings like that every day for past 3 plus years.  So far animals have adapted to it.  Try adding some 7" clip on fans to canopy and sump area to move more air.

Greg / Michael

I noticed the problem when the green acropora started bleaching, almost 70% bleach today.  I keep my tanks at 77 degrees to slow metabolism and increase life expectancy.

These are the facts:

1.  I use the 4" fans (computer fans bought at Radio Shack) cause they fit the opening on the light fixture, but they run at 115V, 60CFM.  

2. I do not have fans under the tank, in the stand, or over the sump.  I will work on this first as per your suggestions.  

3.  The stand is open on the back and I removed two pieces of wood, 6ft long, that run the lenght of the canopy from the top/top of the cannopy to allow for evaporation.

I will get back to you once all this is said and done and the fans are installed.

thank you for your assistance

gracias por su asistencia <---- like they say in the Caribbeans.

Jacob

Kimo, Michale, Greg

I found fans over at Target for $7.99 and installed one inside the canopy shootting at the water and one inside the stand over the sump shooting at the sump.  Then I turn ON all the lights and waited, and waited, and waited... well I'm still waiting what is going to happen with temperature.  I will keep you posted.

Jacob

to avoid a daily temp swing I set my heater to 1 degree below the lowest Temp my fans can keep the tank at durring mid-day in the summer.  In my case that is 79. I have a fan on the same timer as the lights and that cools durring the day and the heater keeps the temp constant at night.

Grav

Thanks for the input.  the fixture fans are tied to the lights with the same timer.  The new fans I just put up based on Michael, Creg and Kimo recomendations are on a separate timer turning on 1 hour before all the lights go on and off 2 hours after the lights go off.  I also keep the heater at 74 just in case.

Jacob

Guest va_reefman

I don't know what's the room temp where you have the tank.  It also helps if the room is a bit cool.

HTH,

John

John

The reefs are in the basement, and noticed I said reefs cause I got a 135G and 55G in the same area that create a lot of heat, while the others are in adjacent room.  We keep the basement cool around 76 or at least we try, but lately with humidity and outdoor heat it has increasingly gone higher than 78 degrees.  This may have a direct effect on the tanks as you suggest and we are monitoring it as we speak.

Jacob