My 29g BioCube Project

Wasga

Well... after having a few larger tanks, I decided to try an smaller tank. I know its not considered a "nano" but I figured it would fit in here. I got my BioCube at the LFS 2 weeks ago. I filled it with water and added a piece of live rock. Today I am going to add the rest of my live rock and some base rock. I was wondering if anyone knows of any mods that can be done with this. I want to remove the bioballs from the back and make a fuge in the back. It should be easily done. I will post pics later when I get the rock in.

Wasga,

looks like youre off to a good start.......how many watts of light is on there?

as you well know from youre other tanks.....slow is better.

in smaller tanks...parameters can change in a blink....well almost :biggrin: ....i found out the hard way...my nitrates went up and i now have a hair algae bloom.....oh well live and learn right?

Bryan

It comes with 72 watts of pc.... I was thinking of getting some t5 to put in it. I should be able to easily push 120w with t5 and put anything I want in there. It has the built in cooling fans in the top, so heat would not be an issue. I am working on getting some other things in there tonight. I will post pics when I am done moving stuff around.

What I have so far. I moved the base rock where i wanted it. I added the moonstone and 3 Zoa colonies into the new tank. I still have live rock, a clown, and an anenome to add. I will keep posting pics of any changes.

tankcy3.jpg

Everything i have added has been in a running tank for about a year. The cycle was short. All of the params are good.

OK. I'm sure you know what you are doing. It's just that the rocks and sand look pretty new in the picture.

Any suggestions on fish. I already have a false perc. I would like another perc and another fish. Anyone have any ideas? Before you say that I am still moving too fast... I wont be back home for another 2 weeks. So, I will wait till then to get them. I angetting a bunch of zoo frags from a friend in MI. I am still looking for the rarer ones though. I think that I am just going to have softies in this tank. I dont feel like modding the lighting and filling it up with SPS and then find out that I have to go out of town for months at a time. I will keep everyone posted with updates.

Jaw fish, fire fish, gobies, but you're gonna need some pods, also a neon bule/yellow cleaner goby or two couldn't hurt, and how bout some inverts, while I'm finally not talking about spending my own money :biggrin:

Any suggestions on fish. I already have a false perc. I would like another perc and another fish. Anyone have any ideas? Before you say that I am still moving too fast... I wont be back home for another 2 weeks. So, I will wait till then to get them. I angetting a bunch of zoo frags from a friend in MI. I am still looking for the rarer ones though. I think that I am just going to have softies in this tank. I dont feel like modding the lighting and filling it up with SPS and then find out that I have to go out of town for months at a time. I will keep everyone posted with updates.

I really love my little yashia gobis. They are so terribly cute :-). Only problem with them is that you don't see them all the time. I also have two purple firefish in my little 24 aquapod. I also decided to keep mostly softies in there.

I really like the clean look of your tank.

I wouldn't put a jawfish in there, however. You would need deeper sand bed for that, and be ready for them to change the landscape.

Nice looking tank - so clean. I love a new tank! How about a watchman goby? Chalk bass maybe? If you are planning a pair of clowns, stick to just one other fish, and make itg a smasll one at that. The most I've ever had in my 30 cube is four - watchman goby, royal gramma, bicolor blenny and neon goby. RIP bicolor and neon.

I want to get a cleaner shrimp. I was thinking of some kind of goby. I had a citron goby but it disappeared.... food for my anenome? I have 5 hermit crabs and 5 snails. I have tons of pods already. More questions. This tank has plastic. for the backing. Is there any way that I can drill it so I can attach a fuge? I think I would rather have a larger fuge than the space in the back gives me. This will also give me a place to put a skimmer. Any other ideas will be concidered also.

I dont really want to mod the hood. I would rather have a larger fuge and a spot to put a skimmer. I had a 40g fuge on my 90g and had good luck with it. I already have a spare 12g tank to use as the fuge. The 12g will fit in the stand for the 29g. I have the lights, return pump, sand, and algae already. I just need to make a couple deviders and I have a complete fuge. I also have a 20g sump that I wont have room for. It was set up as a wave box. The bulkheads on it are too large for the small tank. I want to use it on my 190g when I get it set up. But, thats another thread for the future.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Update: I added a cleaner shrimp. I felt the tank needed some spunk and a little neurotic inhabitant so I figured that a cleaner shrimp would fit the bill. I also got a colony of orange skirted yellow zoos with some pale green zoos mixed in. I will have pics soon. I decided to get a hang on back fuge. I should have it set up in the next couple weeks. I have some red caulerpa from my other tank that grows like... well weeds.

Edited by Wasga

Guest anthony

Update: I added a cleaner shrimp. I felt the tank needed some spunk and a little neurotic inhabitant so I figured that a cleaner shrimp would fit the bill. I also got a colony of orange skirted yellow zoos with some pale green zoos mixed in. I will have pics soon. I decided to get a hang on back fuge. I should have it set up in the next couple weeks. I have some red caulerpa from my other tank that grows like... well weeds.

cool, sounds like its thriving! post some updated pics if u can.

Heres some updated pics.

dscf0832qw0.jpg

Orange rimmed yellow zoo and yellow rimed orange zoo

orangeyellowgp2.jpg

Orange rimmed yellow zoo and yellow rimed orange zoo closeup.

closeuporangeyellowox5.jpg

orangeyellow1kr5.jpg

Maroon and neon green moonstone.

dscf0827ls9.jpg

Cleaner shrimp in anemone.

spazkn6.jpg