I hate to post over here but it's where this thread belongs

I kinda missed out on the frags one cuz i showed up late, and two cuz i'm new and thought it was right that every one else got first dibs, I'm sorta regretting that now, but I got some zoas so I'm extatic i didn't intend to pick up any stony corals but every one was dejecting them :( i felt bad lol... any way i digress

SO HERES THE QUESTION

There was little left when i picked up frags and I grabbed a few pieces of what every one else seemed to be completely ignoring... I think it I heard some one say monti cap... any way it's green and it appear to grow in radial plates, no pic yet... well this is a day later and there are steams of what i can olny describe as mucus string off from the frags, kind of similar looking to what a snail leaves beind and also contains entrapped bubbles, i think just oxygen out of the water...

1 what the heck is it,

2 is it going to hurt anything,

3 what should i do about it? :eek:

Sounds like a green cap...

1) It's mucus, typically SPS (like the green cap) give it off when they are upset (when they are touched, removed from water, etc)... it's part of their self-defense

2) The mucus can upset other corals especially sps and cause them to do something similar... heard of the term chemical warefare in your tank?

3) Run some carbon, make sure it's happy...

Dave

Thank you, both of you for your help

googling it and reading this

"Fast growers, these corals are highly recommended as first corals for new SPS reef tank hobbyists."

I guess the question now is, what is a good way to mount these? right now i've just got them laying on LR, but I plan on mouting them in plates along a piece of LR, trying no to over lap, unfortuantely I have no glue at the moment, or that clay/putty/epoxy stuff... could I use a 2 part 15 minute expoxy to mounth to LR or is it ok if i wait till the week end and get the

"clay/putty/epoxy stuff..."

I found with caps as long as they are situated and happy they will "adhere" themselves (but that means they can't be moved by "critters")...

Dave

I want to adhear them jutting off of a piece of Rock, not just lying on the rock, what can i use to do that?

New to all the corals too... so I asked several there what they used. Many said they used the super glue gel!! So I tried it. It does work fast- w/in 5 minutes from taking out of bag and mounting to putting in the tank. I have 1 softie giving me some mounting problems. I've tried 2x w/ no luck. ( any suggestions? I've just finally gently stuck it into a crevice. It seems to be staying for now...) All the other larger corals are fine and happy. Hope this helps. FYI Safeway carried it here in Gaithersburg.

Edited by hbh

Depends on the softie. Xenia and similar can be held down by sewing with a needle and thread or some fishing line. Mushooms can be held in place with fine netting or other very thin material until they adhere to the rock after a few days to a week. Some folks use rubber bands to secure softies to rockwork. Yet another option is to place the softies in a small container with crushed coral, small pieces of LR or even some sand and place the container in a low flow area of your tank. They will eventually latch on to the rubble that can then be glued or epoxied to your LR.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can also stick a toothpick through the base of the softie, then either push the toothpick into a hole in your LR or tie the toothpick to the rock. So many options...

HTH,

Bob

If you are having SPS... super glue or 2 part epoxy...

for softies I like to get them to attach to rock rubble (with thread/fishing line) and then attach the rock rubble...

Dave