Stocking 120gal - fish questions

BowieReefer84

Right now I have 3 anthias, 2 small clowns, 1 orange back wrasse, and 1 bristletooth tang. 

I just ordered a royal gramma and foxface lo that I’m going to put through QT. 

I’ll be at 9 fish after this latest addition. 

I also have snails and 3 small ORA tuxedo urchins. 

I want more fish but not sure what will get along. Also, with fish prices right now the cheaper the better. Anyone have thoughts on 1 vs multiple with blue green chromis or bangai cardinals? Other things to consider? I like the sailfin algae blennies. 

My main goal is not messing up the peaceful tank and keeping everyone healthy. Wondering what I can ultimately end up regarding total number of fish. 

I have in 80 gallons:

2 clowns

1 lemon peel angel

1 flame angel 

2 mandarins

1 bangai cardinal

1 chromis

1 yellow tang that disappeared 🤷‍♂️ 

i had a few chromis (3 total,) now there’s 1. 
heavily stocked with corals, I think it’s a sweet spot with residents. I think you’d be fine to add a few more of your wishlist without upsetting the balance.

It seems like most peoples' experience with chromis is that they end up as one after a while - no personal experience and I don't know I totally buy it, but keeping a number of them seems to be tricky between disease (uronema) and aggression.

With banggais, some people say the same, and some people seem to manage several.  I think if you add a group of similar size and have enough spaces for them to shelter in (not caves, but crevices or overhangs) you'll be alright, but the universally safe choice is a single one or a pair.  Pajama cardinals seem to be more tolerant of loose groups, but probably less active (and they can get surprisingly big.)

Algae blennies should be just fine but may compete for space with other ground dwellers.  In my experience, dragonets are no issue, but sand dwelling gobies can not get along with sand dwelling blennies (not necessarily fighting, but irritation, at least.)

In terms of number of fish... you've got plenty of space.  If they're friendly, smaller, and don't occupy the same niches as what you've already got, you could probably get a dozen or two more in there provided your feeding and filtration are up to the task.  While probably not an ideal to strive for, I've got 10 in my ~45 gallon now and I'm actually down a couple in the past year - takes a lot of food and making sure they can get along, though.

I guess my 120g stocking list may help:

2 clownfish

1 Scopas Tang

1 one-spot foxface

2 firefish

1 tailspot blenny

1 coral beauty

5 anthias

1 lawnmower blenny

1 chromis

there are some cheaper, smaller fish that are fun to watch in the big tank, they’re out way more than they used to be in my smaller 35g tank. 

as far an a number as long as they’re all peaceful, there is plenty of habitat and food and you keep up with maintenance then you could fit a lot of fish. 

Edited by Yellow Eyes