Please help algae ID

smh254

I have a spot in my aquarium that has this red string algae that grows into the rock. Could someone please help me ID?b3f418b59c8842b050a51fd9ecc9fdbd.jpg

d9290af751b1c12a2d7aeffe1d57c82e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forget the name of it (I have it written down in my records, but I'm not near those right now), but get it out. I found it very invasive and not easily treatable (and most red alga are not eaten by what we have in our tanks.) I'll try to get the name for you.

This algae is something different than I’ve had before. It grows into the rock so it can’t be pulled out. Of course it’s covering a rock on the bottom of the rock structure. I’m going to have to pull out most of the rock to get to it. No fun
Thanks guys for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's super tough and hard to pull off the rock, it might be red turf algae. I had it for years and they only thing that worked were huge mexican turbos (NOT the zebra striped ones) and tuxedo urchins. My tank was covered only under the brightest light areas and they would not totally remove it, but would keep it in check decently well. ITS A PAIN IN THE BUT!! EDIT: just to be clear, the urchins would completely scrape it off the rock, but would not target it specifically. the mexican turbos, if big enough, would mow it down but it would still be on the rock, just flat against the rock and not fluffy. 

At one time, i used peroxide in a syringe to spot kill it. (turn pumps off, squirt some on it, let pumps sit for 30 seconds and then turn everything on). I made sure to never do more than 10-15ml per day in a 100g tank. Probably not ideal if you have SPS, but all other corals can handle it fine. I would only do this if that's all you have in the pic, or take the rock out and cover it with a peroxide soaked towel for 10 mins. 

Not sure why, but one day after about 2-3 years dealing with it, it just went away. It was when I broke my tank down, moved it from Ohio to DC and all my rock was condensed to 2 20g longs plumbed together. I think the nitrates shot up to like 50 or 60, but not sure if that's why it died or the death caused the nitrates, lol. but I have not seen it since. 

Edited by nburg

If it's super tough and hard to pull off the rock, it might be red turf algae. I had it for years and they only thing that worked were huge mexican turbos (NOT the zebra striped ones) and tuxedo urchins. My tank was covered only under the brightest light areas and they would not totally remove it, but would keep it in check decently well. ITS A PAIN IN THE BUT!! EDIT: just to be clear, the urchins would completely scrape it off the rock, but would not target it specifically. the mexican turbos, if big enough, would mow it down but it would still be on the rock, just flat against the rock and not fluffy. 

At one time, i used peroxide in a syringe to spot kill it. (turn pumps off, squirt some on it, let pumps sit for 30 seconds and then turn everything on). I made sure to never do more than 10-15ml per day in a 100g tank. Probably not ideal if you have SPS, but all other corals can handle it fine. I would only do this if that's all you have in the pic, or take the rock out and cover it with a peroxide soaked towel for 10 mins. 

Not sure why, but one day after about 2-3 years dealing with it, it just went away. It was when I broke my tank down, moved it from Ohio to DC and all my rock was condensed to 2 20g longs plumbed together. I think the nitrates shot up to like 50 or 60, but not sure if that's why it died or the death caused the nitrates, lol. but I have not seen it since. 

You hit the nail on the head. It is very hard to pull off the rocks. And yes it’s only growing in brightly lit areas. My plan is removing the rocks that it’s on and replacing them. I hope it doesn’t start re-growing on the new rocks, but it probably will.