What should my first set up be?

achansek

Hi, 

I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have experience caring for discus (70g) and high-tech (40g) planted tank FS setups. I am enamored by videos of Danny's aquarium and am keen on starting with a saltwater (coral) tank that is relatively low-tech (canister or hang-on-back filter or no filter, light, regular water changes).

Would you have any thoughts to share on this? 

Option 1: My best shot would be all-in-one tanks and preferably a used setup so I can also get the corals. 

I prefer that over a setup from scratch mainly because every mistake setting up and establishing the tank is extremely expensive.

Option 2: Go with a clownfish and anemone set up—still 30g max.

Welcome. I would say that you can do options 1 and 2 together if you'd like. If you aren't looking at a more complex setup with a sump then an all in one is the way to go. Their have been tons of options that have come out in the last few years from various manufacturers, so choosing will be based on your desires in size. After that the important thing is to get good lights. Tons of used options here or elsewhere to save a few bucks.

Also, I think the mistakes that are more costly is less the setup of equipment but from maintaining the tank, like routine maintenance and chemistry so I wouldn't base your equipment choices on that risk.

Good luck! 

I’d encourage you to watch some of Bulk Reef Supply’s videos on setting up reef tanks. They cover a ton of topics and are pretty well done. It will help ensure you’ve got a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, achansek said:

Thank you. That is helpful. I am thinking of splurging on lights with AI prime. Would appreciate other options if they are better.

Nothing wrong w/ AI Primes, plenty use them. There are tons to choose from based on budget, gadgetry, power, spectrum, etc. At the end of the day, as long as they are controllable, and you can get support (meaning popular lights that people use) you should be good.