DIY CO2 Scrubber

WarChief

DIY CO2 Scrubber.pdf

Total of the parts I used and posted here $79.93       

First take and drill a hole in the top of the container ½” or however large you need it to bold one of the hose barbs in place. Next you will drill around 6 holes (aprox. 3/8” bit) in the center area of the base of the container (note do not push hard when drilling as this will cause the container to crack. ‬Next take and cut the foam to fit in the base of the container (this will keep the CO2 Media from falling out the new holes. Add the CO2 Media. Cut hose to the desired length and make sure not to cut it too short. Slide hose clamps on the both ends of the hose. Insert hose and clamp everything down. This will help to raise your PH and ORP levels. My numbers for ORP were super low. This has brought it up 100 points in 8 hours. I will post pics of the final product when I get home.

11 hours ago, WarChief said:

DIY CO2 Scrubber.pdf 638.73 kB · 4 downloads

Total of the parts I used and posted here $79.93       

First take and drill a hole in the top of the container ½” or however large you need it to bold one of the hose barbs in place. Next you will drill around 6 holes (aprox. 3/8” bit) in the center area of the base of the container (note do not push hard when drilling as this will cause the container to crack. ‬Next take and cut the foam to fit in the base of the container (this will keep the CO2 Media from falling out the new holes. Add the CO2 Media. Cut hose to the desired length and make sure not to cut it too short. Slide hose clamps on the both ends of the hose. Insert hose and clamp everything down. This will help to raise your PH and ORP levels. My numbers for ORP were super low. This has brought it up 100 points in 8 hours. I will post pics of the final product when I get home.

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg

Really interesting.  I assume that you just drilled out the holes in the top of your ReefOctopus (I think?) skimmer air intake in order to run it into that container?  

I'll be interested in a followup of how long that media lasts.

No I looked up a bunch of stuff on it. It doesn’t have to return into the top. There’s two different co2 scrubbers. One that returns and one that doesn’t. This one doesn’t. And from what I read that closed loop system is worst for the skimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Well done!  I did something similar last week. 

Poor man option:  $24 in CO2 media from Coralvue, an empty yogurt container, and some tubing.   I started by attached some 1/2" clear tubing to my skimmer intake and running the hose outside.  Then I took an empty yogurt container and made a 1/2" hole in the lid, filled the container with media, ran hose to the bottom of the container.  Poked five holes in lid with a poky stick and done! 

pH minimum: 8.24

pH average: 8.36

pH maximum: 8.46

*This is not recirculating through the skimmer cap.

Bonus add-on:  I bought a 24v solenoid to add a bypass to allow indoor air into the skimmer if pH goes above 8.50.  This solenoid can be attached directly to the APEX 24v powersource and can also be used to reduce pH swings.

Edited by therootcause
bonus

I run hydros controller. But I could do the same. My PH had been stable though. So j probably won’t until it becomes an issue. My thought was to put the skimmer on a timer. Your way seems to be a better controlled option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk