Coral help

I did a 10% water change 2 days ago and it’s still hard as a rock. Any thoughts? Guy was incredible before. Water parameters…

Nitrate- 0

Alk- 9.8

Phosphate- .19 (refilled GFO to lower again)

Calcium- 462

Magnesium- 1780

Ph- 8.09

Salinity- 1.026

Using reef crystal. da38b79b7df635c52297a51a7682ea67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magnesium is quite high for sure, but if it actually is elevated, since calcium is somewhat elevated and alkalinity isn't low, I'd consider recalibrating your refractometer and remeasuring salinity - it could be a higher value than you're currently seeing.

Leathers do this naturally - it helps to slough off extra tissue, mucus, etc. 

Granted, your params are a bit off of ideal, but leathers are generally pretty hardy. I would just wait a bit to see if the leather just does its thing.

(edited)

Leathers sometimes take a little bit to be happy again after being pissed off. They do this too on occasion so not a big deal if other corals are looking ok.

How are your tank’s params trending? Are you dosing?

I had to drop my tank’s salinity to 1.024 since I have an LPS dominated tank and the params kept drifting up with weekly 10% water changes. I’m not dosing anything. The tank’s Alk with regular IO was around 10.5 and rising. Corals were looking stressed, but now much happier with Alk around 9.5. Last time I measured, the Alk reading for newly mixed IO saltwater at 1.026 was 11+. Reef crystals might be even higher. If you’re in a similar situation as me, you may consider dropping the salinity of newly mixed saltwater if your tank’s consumption of trace elements is less than what water changes introduces. This will slowly lower your tank’s params.

Edited by WheresTheReef

I might start using a different salt. Any thoughts from members? I don’t add anything yet. Just weekly water changes.

But I think your right that keeping the salinity at 1.026 is keeping up the magnesium and calcium. I heard reef cystal can do that.

29 minutes ago, Aaron Stillwell said:

Also. Could it be shedding? Pretty sure it did that before but I noticed stuff coming off.

That's what I was referring to, so yes, it's a possibility if the rest of your tank looks good.

Any chance you have clowns or something trying to host in it? I've seen that also cause a lack of extension in corals.