Super low PAR - how long to acclimate increase?

beatle

I was able to borrow the club's PAR meter this weekend (thanks again Craig!) and I found out that PAR values for my tank were suuuper low.  Most were in the range of 50-125.  I have an AP9X over my 3 foot tank, tilted slightly to reduce glare into my eyes when sitting close to the tank.  I recently raised it to 17" over the water to get better distribution after watching the recent BRS video:

I knew this would reduce PAR output, but I never really knew how much I was getting.  I ran the lights at a max of 45% based on what I've seen others do, partially out of paranoia from "cooking" my corals, but I really wanted some real data with the lights.

Anyway, as I mentioned, my PAR was very low which probably explains the almost non-existent growth I've experienced.  At 100% I recorded PAR values of 100-250 which I think will be great for my mixed reef.  That all said, I am currently using the Kessil acclimation function of the light to ramp up to 100% over a 30 day period, starting at 45%.  While it doesn't seem like a long time, is this too aggressive?  Could I be more aggressive in ramping?

I think that your target and timeline are ideal. For that level of par shifting, I think I wouldn't aim any faster than 2-3 weeks. I think that 4 weeks reflects much-demanded and much-respected patience. Rather than a linear ramp, you could aim for something that were more proportional. Example using a roughly 22% increase per week over 4 weeks:

Week 1: 45% to 55%

Week 2: 55% to 67%

Week 3: 67% to 82%

Week 4: 82% to 100% (or target)