LED lighting - made my mistake

Aaron Stillwell

I purchased the current USA orbit marine LED. Yes…I should have researched more. In the process of returning. The company is out of business (I just found out) and the software is not stable. 

So, I am looking at either new budget lights or used mid range lights. Your thoughts? Will be used on a innovative marine SR – 60.

@telegraham

I think that Saltwateraquarium said they will continue to support the business. I'm not 100% sure if that mean they will continue to support the product and sell them or just provide parts.  

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-usa’s-future-is-bright-says-saltwateraquarium-com.965890/

Lots of options out there. BRS did a series a couple of years ago on led lights. I think they may have been keeping up with updates to it, but not sure. Lots of great info there.

Depending on what your goals are, it is definitely possible to run a reef tank with black box led’s (viparspectra, etc). I used black boxes on my reef for several years. I’ve upgraded since then, but still have one on my coral QT.

You can also go off of BRS’s info and pick up some good lights used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days, I run Radions over my main display but use Chinese "black box" LEDs over my frag tank. I tend to go through one of the black box LEDs every 3 or 4 years, so I always keep a spare on hand. As an entry-level light, they'll probably do just fine to meet your needs. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, Aaron Stillwell said:

I purchased the current USA orbit marine LED. Yes…I should have researched more. In the process of returning. The company is out of business (I just found out) and the software is not stable. 

So, I am looking at either new budget lights or used mid range lights. Your thoughts? Will be used on a innovative marine SR – 60.

Way late on this one. Sorry. What direction did you go, Aaron?