Phosphate Question

cpeguero

So I recently dealt with my high phosphate issue, only to go in the opposite direction….. My phosphates are now undetectable, after starting to dose potassium nitrate.

Now, nitrate is staying around 2-3 ppm. I’m still working through a few ideas on getting phosphate up, but wanted to get inputs from the community on how you all do it.

I currently have my skimmer set to run for just a half hour during the day. Just cut the photo period on my fuge down to 4 hours at night. I run fleece rollers and dose kalk at night. Also dose Microbactr 7 once per week

pH runs 8.3-8.6; Alk 9-ish

Aside from further adjusting fuge photo period, other thoughts on getting phosphates up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my limited experience, dosing potassium nitrate to raise nitrates will also lower phosphates. I would consider dosing potassium phosphate to bring the phosphate up along with your nitrate dosing as raising one will usually lower the other. 

Edited by xabo

They do sell phosphate additives, but feeding a little extra nori or a little extra frozen food would likely have the desired effect.  I feed lots of frozen and have continuously high phosphate, so I do think it contributes! :lol2:

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to avoid dosing potassium phosphate, but might just have to do that. I started dosing potassium nitrate specifically to get phosphate down, but it’s working too well, lol.

I use a plank auto feeder and already increased feeding 25%. Will try feeding some frozen more regularly and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I may just have to dose and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh the woes! Too little phosphate! ?

I used to dose phosphate, but I bumped up the food dosing. Now I need to deal with the opposite issue. ? 

just ordered some potassium phosphate. Need to stop the coral loss....

Only problem with upping the food dose is that my fish are already fat..... guess that means I need more fish :biggrin::fish:

5 years ago, I started feeding frozen exclusively. I’ve found everything has been happier, although it’s not great on my wallet. 

i don’t test for phosphate, but when members get coral from me and test the water, I’ve been told phosphate is low, which is always a shock to me…