GFO vs Rowa Phos? Reactor recommendation?

cdw79

Trying to understand the pros and cons of Rowa Phos vs GFO (only learned today that there is a difference). 

Also looking to try and choose a compact reactor for whichever I go with- space is at a huge premium in my sump but my .27 phosphate is simple too high to deal with any longer as is. Any guidance of how to approach this would be incredibly helpful, thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know that they're all that different. Both are basically GFO, I believe. One seems to have a more consistent particle size (probably due to the manufacturing approach). But, one site that I saw described Rowa Phos as a "man made ferric hydroxide material," which is another way of saying GFO (since both the oxide and hydroxide ions are trapped in the GFO matrix). Generic GFO may be far cheaper in bulk, though. What difference did you read about?

Sudden drops in tank chemistry can stress some corals, so beware of quick fixes. However, for really bad phosphate situations, some have resorted to using Lanthanum Chloride to form an insoluble precipitate with phosphate to remove it.

If your tank is relatively small, a big water change may be a safer.

I use Rowaphos. Not sure if there is really a difference between it and generic GFO or if there is a difference besides texture/size, etc? 

I use the smallest lifeguard reactor for the small frag tank system. Works well for me. 

• 4 weeks later...