Skimmer for 29

treesprite

I'm trying to find a decent skimmer to use on my undrilled 29 diy AIO.

I have an old CPR which uses a MJ1200, but I wasn't really happy with it when I was using it (about a decade ago).

Are there any mods to make the CPR better (more predictable, productive, with less micro bubbles) ? Or some affordable but better alternative that uses a similarly sized pump (I don't have space for a large submersible pump)? 

EDIT TO ADD:

I had a Skilter on my first reef tank, a 45g. I just noticed such things still exist. Seems better than the CPR skimmer I have, so maybe I should just get something like that, just use better media in it. Any thoughts on this idea? 

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

If I did use a combo HOT filter- skimmer, do you think Icould use Biopellets in it, since the skimmer part will automatically skim the affluent? I have never used Biopellets, so maybe someone would knows more about them could respond? 

Just saw some bad reviews about the specific Skilter brand, but there is a CoraLife combo unit and probably some others I need to investigate. 

Edited by treesprite

Forrest, there's an old mesh-mod that was done on some old CPR-like skimmers back in the day to make them better at creating a finer bubble stream. 

At 29 gallons, have you considered managing nutrients with weekly water changes? You may not need a skimmer on a tank that small.