MH Ballast question

gsedlack

I have a setup with 3 x 250w MH. One of the ballasts looks to be non-functional. The are all the Coralife Magnetic Ballasts. I am wondering if this is somewhat common. Likely cause? and can they be repaired by a "resonably compenent" person.

Does it make sense to replace with electronic ballast or another magnetic ballast if needed?

TIA /George

I have a setup with 3 x 250w MH. One of the ballasts looks to be non-functional. The are all the Coralife Magnetic Ballasts. I am wondering if this is somewhat common. Likely cause? and can they be repaired by a "resonably compenent" person.

Does it make sense to replace with electronic ballast or another magnetic ballast if needed?

TIA /George

Might just be a bad capacitor, a straight forward electrical fix of easily obtained parts. There is danger involved.

In a 3x250 configuration, if you run a mix of bulbs like 20K - 10K - 20K you could replace the center ballast with a different type, electronic, etc. But if you run 3 of the same bulbs, an electronic will burn the bulb differently then the magnetic, typically resulting in different coloration.

For maximum flexibility, I would not mix magnetic(probe, pulse, HQI) with electronics.

TIA /George

I am in the process of replacing my magnetic ballasts with electronic....course I am also upgrading ballasts from 175 to 250. I went with icecap.....found them for $114 at Marine Depot

I am going with this one instead....

Ocean Encounter IceCap 250watt Halide Retro Kit w/bulb ($179 including bulb...I did upgrade to a 14k hamilton for an extra $20)