I got a Kalk reactor.... now what?

I picked up a Kalk ractor last night, friggen HUGE! 3 feet tall or so. It's preasurized by a tetratec deep water pump and stirred by a MJ 400.

So the question is, where do I buy Kalk, how much do i does, should I even be trusted with one of these.

Current tank inhabitants, random misc LR growth, a coulpe of unknown hard corals, white also bright neon yellow ones... not softies but I have no idea what they are, and don't own a macro lens, 1 shroom aslo unknown abou the size of a .50 piece, 3 anems, and a large chunk of kenya tree, 1 blue green chromis, and 1 clarkii clown, I'm presently in the proscess of reading the kalk thread in this section :drink:

IMHO, you do not need to dose calcium just yet.

Check Eve's TOTM - even with that amount of LPS in the tank she does not dose calk.

I would worry about shifting chemical balance as calcium intake in your system is really low now.

Again, I might be mistaken.

Good point made by Ina... All eve does is water changes for that 90... as you raise the demand of calcium then you can consider it, but I would wait first.

Dave

Try to do it this way.

Measure calcium and alkalinity in your system. After a week measure again and see if there is a change. Do a water change and measure again. You will see if calcium needs to be brought up. Calculate daily consumption. Calculate amount you need to add every day to keep everything level.

Post your measurements.

All together - if it's not a must, better don't mess with the balance. As Chip always points - do not fix something which is not broken.

All together - if it's not a must, better don't mess with the balance. As Chip always points - do not fix something which is not broken.

right, and don't dose anything you don't regularly test for. :)

but ina is right, make a log of your levels first, before, after water changes, daily cosumption, and determine your needs.

in my 58 have probably 10 sps frags, 2 colonies, 2 clams, and LPS, and all i have to do is dose 2 capfuls of calcium liquid mid week, in addition to water changes.

you'd be surprised how little gets taken up, until you get big sps colonies growing fast.

Jason, I got in on the last group order of calcium hydroxide that Xeon (Dave) put together. I ended up with like 30# of kalk... more that I'm likely to use in a lifetime. If you'd like a couple of pounds to get you started I could bring it to the meeting.

Garrett.

:bounce:

Jason, I got in on the last group order of calcium hydroxide that Xeon (Dave) put together. I ended up with like 30# of kalk... more that I'm likely to use in a lifetime. If you'd like a couple of pounds to get you started I could bring it to the meeting.

Garrett.

Cool, I'm aslo still looking for that 55 you have for sale

I'll check to see if it is tempered or not. If I can't find a manufacturer, is there any other way to tell?

Garrett.

if you have polarized sunglasses, tempered glass looks wavy through them. it's hard to describe, but it works.