Anti Siphon Valve, check valve

Here is my thinking If I have a pipe system where some of the returns are drilled throug the tank, and the power cuts, is there an inline valve I can use to prevent reverse siphon?

Here is my thinking If I have a pipe system where some of the returns are drilled throug the tank, and the power cuts, is there an inline valve I can use to prevent reverse siphon?

IMO, the best is just to drill a small hole in your return just below the water line. It will break the siphon once the water reaches this hole. Make sure to check it so it does not get blocked over time.

Some poeple put a pvc anti-siphon in-line, but most just drill a small hole.

(edited)

IMO, the best is just to drill a small hole in your return just below the water line. It will break the siphon once the water reaches this hole. Make sure to check it so it does not get blocked over time.

Some poeple put a pvc anti-siphon in-line, but most just drill a small hole.

no no no, well ok I prob didn't write it clear enough, the return will be DRILLED THOUGH THE TANK AT ALL THE WAY NEAR THE BOTTOM AT THE BACK WALL

Edited by jason the filter freak

Even if you install a check valve you should have enough room in your sump just in case or some sort of other idea like danny has were the sump is drilled and overflows in another tank "just in case"

Unless you overflow is on the bottom of your tank you wont have 55g in your 20l sump. Stupid Jason! :biggrin:

And you spelled my name wrong too buddy ( I swear everyone does)

Jason,

WHy is it pulling from the bottom?

Most people want to pull water from the surface... and then create an overflow (so the hole can be anywhere)...

Then it's just a matter of measuring how much volume can be in the sump...

Dave

sorry pushing water in, they will be water jets.... from a return pump, I plan on finding a return pump than can handle the head pressure of being at the bottom of a 55, but in the event of power failur, water will come back the other way due to gravity :(

Unless it's a closed loop I would not recommend...

Check valves do fail....

Dave

Jason the 55g that i sold you is tempered on the bottom for sure. look at the bottom and you wil see a sticker

I'll take daves advice..... In the future I will write a whole heck of alot more clearer... I was planning on putting the return though the bottom side of the BACK wall X.x. I'm not so swift in the head, will write clearer in the future, a MOD can feel free to close this dumb thread

I need a check valve to setup with my DIY Kalk Reactor we built in the past for my tank.

I couldn't find the link at McMasters, but Chip promised me a link soon????????? :wink:

Anyone have a suggestion to keep the small powerhead from back siphoning?

Jason - You can find those kind of check valves at usplastics.com or aquaticeco.com, BUT . . . I agree with the others -- I wouldn't trust my system to a check valve. If you are dead-set on having that type of flow pattern, I would suggest (1) a closed loop; (2) place your return bulkheads near the top of the tank and use pvc elbows to get the outlets where you want them, then drill an anti-siphon hole in the side of the elbow coming out of the bulkhead; or (3) just route your return lines over the back wall of your tank.

I need a check valve to setup with my DIY Kalk Reactor we built in the past for my tank.

I couldn't find the link at McMasters, but Chip promised me a link soon????????? :wink:

Anyone have a suggestion to keep the small powerhead from back siphoning?

Howard: I guess I just don't trust check-valves. I have the tubing coming out of my (DIY) Kalk reactor suspened about an inch over the high-water mark in my sump. I keep it in place with a zip-tie threaded through a hole drilled in the plastic bracing of the tank. That way it just drips in and when the powerhead feeding the reactor shuts down, there is nothing to be siphoned.