How do I take this apart?

smallreef

So...my SWC skimmer is not working right...I've cleaned everything and I went to clean the pump it gets fairly warm and I feel like I need to pull it apart and see what's going on inside....

Yep...ran warm water with a bit of vinegar through it for about 30 minutes....

I'm going to set it back up in the morning and see how it works but it's driving me crazy...this is the second time in 2 months it's stopped working...

the atman 2500 is a crap pump. mine just failed in my nac 7 bubble magus skimmer so i share your frustration. although that one ran for about two years. if you find a replacement (the atman 2500 is no longer sold or supported) let me know por favor. i think fish street sells a replica for cheap too but i'd prefer to buy something solid this time around for this application.

Edited by monkiboy

Are you just trying to get the pump out of the body?

Maybe this thread has something useful? It mentions a possible solution for startup problems.

No got it all pulled out, the bubble trap pulled off...I'm just trying to pull the face off to get to the needle wheel and not having much luck...yeah this is a sucky pump....

Just looking at this picture, it looks like there's two "wings" on either side of the intake. It vaguely reminds me of the way the volute cover on the PSK2500 was designed.

IMG_0265.jpg

Try using this technique using the handles on a pair of pliers to apply leverage.

kim, mine was kind of tough too as it had gotten a bit stuck but just clean it off proper and turn counter clockwise with the cover pressed against the pump to allow the tabs to release from under the four clips holding the volute cover in place. if yours failed there no point really in doing so. mine failed and it stunk to high heaven of electrical smoke mixed with skimmer smell. very odd smell for about a week. anything like that? with yours on, did it create any motion or vibration? mine did not and just went out completely one day.

It's got movement , after I pulled it out and ran some warm water through it, then let it run with a bit of vinegar too,.....just not enough...

That why I felt like something may be stuck inside...so I wants to pull it apart and see....

Marco's seen this pump, I've not. I can only guess. Is that insert between you and the impeller removable? Is it being held in by the friction of an o-ring? Can you pull it out or rock it with a little leverage?

Can you post a pictures of the underside, and left or right side?  I think I have the same pump, but want to be sure so I don't give you wrong information.