My anemones

dzekunoi

I love anemones.

I have an LTA, a Mini Maxi Tapetum and a RBTA.

Can not take a picture of RBTA - it's roaming now, hiding under a ledge. But others are showing up.

Just wanted to share some pictures!

P1020387.jpg

P1020390.jpg

I really would like to get a Ritteri but probably would be too much.

What do you think?

I love anemones.

Can not take a picture of RBTA - it's roaming now, hiding under a ledge. But others are showing up.

P1020387.jpg

What do you think?

WHAT DO I THINK?!

I think that you're FISHING for compliments...

However I have to say the above looks like a work of art! I'm :bounce: with envy! Awsome! lucky you... :wig:

Edited by jason the filter freak

Very nice. what do you take your pictures with? What type of anemonies are they?

What do you think?

I have had terrible luck in mixing H. magnifica(ritteri) with most other anemone species.

If you are going to try, IME you'll have much better success with a tank designed and stocked with H. mag's needs specifically in mind. Then, finding a healthy specimen is the hard part.

Nice pictures of the M. doreensis and the Tapetum :)

I love anemones.

P1020387.jpg

What do you think?

Hey just how big is that anem, I was looking at a chunk of my LR, and I have something that looks very very similar, except they aren't much bigger than a .... well there is three about the size of a nickle, dime, and one half that size

? How small can they be?

Edited by jason the filter freak

WHAT DO I THINK?!

I think that you're FISHING for compliments...

However I have to say the above looks like a work of art! I'm :bounce: with envy! Awsome! lucky you... :wig:

Thanks!

Actually, I ask what do you think about adding a Ritteri :)

I know my anemones rock! And photos came well to, even though I had to take 20 of them to achieve results.

Looks good! My tapetum pair has colored up nicely as well. Still want to get that food Scott suggested?

Also how often are you feeding them? I am doing 2-3 times/week.

I feed him crill every other day when feed my food demanding corals (Dendro and Sun)

I really would like to add some fish into the diet so if you are planning a GB on Lance fish - I'm in.

Hey just how big is that anem, I was looking at a chunk of my LR, and I have something that looks very very similar, except they aren't much bigger than a .... well there is three about the size of a nickle, dime, and one half that size

? How small can they be?

It's just 3 - 3.5 "

Very nice. what do you take your pictures with? What type of anemonies are they?

Thanks! A M. doreensis and a Tapetum. I use Lumix DMC-FZ5. Veri nice camera (in my price range )

I have had terrible luck in mixing H. magnifica(ritteri) with most other anemone species.

If you are going to try, IME you'll have much better success with a tank designed and stocked with H. mag's needs specifically in mind. Then, finding a healthy specimen is the hard part.

Nice pictures of the M. doreensis and the Tapetum :)

I will skip on Ritteri then. Can you recomend me other specie?

hmmm.....seeing that picture of your LTA makes me think that my RBTA is an LTA!

It has the same white markings around the mouth and the tentacles are spaced the same way (concentrated away from the center) if you get what I'm saying.

I used to feed mine krill and silversides, but at MACNA Anthony Calfo advised against this. He said that anemones will spit out anything larges than mysis size at night usually. So I've started feeding him mysis and formula 1 chunks.

hmmm.....seeing that picture of your LTA makes me think that my RBTA is an LTA!

It has the same white markings around the mouth and the tentacles are spaced the same way (concentrated away from the center) if you get what I'm saying.

I used to feed mine krill and silversides, but at MACNA Anthony Calfo advised against this. He said that anemones will spit out anything larges than mysis size at night usually. So I've started feeding him mysis and formula 1 chunks.

I mince his food. Calfo is right - I noticed if pieces are big he spits them out. I do not feed him often though -it's clown's job

Post a picture of your anemone - Traveler7 knows much about anemones, he'll identify it for you I'm sure.

Personally I cut my feeding portions into small enough and soft pieces that the anemone does not have to spit it out when it contracts into a night time position(same for a tube anemone, in it's day time contracted position). This is one of the reasons I prefer feeding soft bodied lance fish over the more bony silversides available.

I don't mince the anemones food, but if it works for you and the anemones are growing, stick with the regimen :)

fwiw: Scarlet, BTAs can get very long tentacles and many have white lines radiating from the mouth. Best way to ID a BTA is look at the column under the oral disk: no verrucae(the little spots) then it can either be a BTA or H. magnifica. H. magnifica normally will only show its verrucae when it is large and happy, but they are there, hence one of the reasons it is in Genus Heteractis instead of a genus on its own.

Cheers :)

As a good Mom I remove bones from silversides before feeding anemones :blush:

Is it OK to add a tube anemone with all the animals I have? I was thinking I could build it a nice tube filled with sand and set far from other inhabitants.

My concern is - Mandarins and shrimps. Do they have chance to be eaten?

As a good Mom I remove bones from silversides before feeding anemones :blush:

Is it OK to add a tube anemone with all the animals I have? I was thinking I could build it a nice tube filled with sand and set far from other inhabitants.

My concern is - Mandarins and shrimps. Do they have chance to be eaten?

I have not experienced too many negative interactions with tube anemones. I am pretty sure the most common predators we would encounter in the hobby are nudibranch, cowries, true shrimp(a mantis is not in this category), butterflies, etc.

Mine have all been planted in pvc with an elbow and a cap, then back filled with sand. The anemone can pull all the way down in the tube if it desires.

Biggest problem with tube anemones in reefs:

They are really night time critters(such a shame to waste the beauty, add a low wattage actinic for night viewing :D )

They prefer feeding at night

They open quite large when mature

They are not fans of strong flow

They really need a protected tube so sand bed critters don't bother them(they evolved to live in silt/mud).

If you have a low flow 12"x12"x12" space they are quite nice.

full disclosure: I do have one small one in my 300gal which has lots of Tunze streams, but I have it very sheltered with large pieces of table rock, feed heavily at night, etc. Tank has had mantis, eels, triggers, butterflies, wrasse, and all kinds of clowns in it. I'll see if I can snap a picture of the little guy tonight ;>)

Remove the bones?????? Am I lazy or is that really needed? I just feed about 1/3 of a whole silverside, sometimes it's soaked in selcon sometimes not, sometimes I put a little cylopeeze in the cup and let it all marinate along with some DT's and PE Mysis. Heres a shot I got today....

256925047_9324f58874.jpg

Remove the bones?????? Am I lazy or is that really needed? I just feed about 1/3 of a whole silverside, sometimes it's soaked in selcon sometimes not, sometimes I put a little cylopeeze in the cup and let it all marinate along with some DT's and PE Mysis. Heres a shot I got today....

256925047_9324f58874.jpg

Yea I have three of these, how cool is that... I have no Idea where they came from, but they've been in my tank for a while, I don't feed for anems... aggggg what do i do?

Yea I have three of these, how cool is that... I have no Idea where they came from, but they've been in my tank for a while, I don't feed for anems... aggggg what do i do?

Jason, post some pictures of them. If you do in fact have three of those, I believe those guys paid a premium for them. I would tend to doubt you got them accidentally, though, as there are only a couple of sources for them from what I have read so far. More likely they are rock anemones, but if they are these "mini-carpets" or tapetums, you are very luck (although you might want to sell them to one of the anemone experts if you have a few).

The first documented reef keeper records and original distribution of the "Mini" Carpets, S. tapetum, by Gary Majchrzak were from a hitch hiker. These smaller variants divide fairly frequently, look like the larger specimens, but seem to reach of maximum diameter of 2" prior to splitting. Originally these were distributed from Free to about $20ea. Since they are small and ship pretty well, it is quite likely other hitch hikers have made it into the hobby on rock and corals.

The presumed larger variant, aka the "Maxi" Carpets, are also presumed to be S. tapetum. These appear to reach greater then 4" and maybe 6" in diameter. They appear to be almost bullet proof once acclimated and safely situated. To date I have neither seen nor heard of a report of a natural division. They are sold as all sorts of things and all sorts of prices because most folks think they are C. adhaesivum. Prices have been from $15 to $100 to date. There are a few of us that have picked up specimens from different batches to ensure genetic diversity. You might have an offer on your hands ;>)

fwiw: I have clowns that host is just about anything, none have chosen to call an

S. tapetum home to date. They are not known to be natural hosts and it appears odds are against many if any clowns taking up residence.

As Dave said, post a picture and see if you can provide a size reference with it. It would appear, a long term, well lit, S. tapetum has tiny red/orange spots on the feet and very distinctive tentacle structure. An ID should not be too hard.

Cheers :)