Fish List & Wishlist

stevil

So I thought I should do a bit more planning about my fish in my tank. I've had a general idea on the ones that I've acquired so far, but it's been a bit random (and in some cases impulsive). My tank is a 90 gallon reef that has been established for about a year. I don't have a ton of corals in it yet, but am slowly starting to add. Therefore, I want make sure my fish additions are reef safe. I'm not interested in having aggressive fish (in this tank... maybe in a separate one in the future). I do have a very nice and thriving community of copepods and amphipods.

Here's what I currently have

1 Lawnmower Blenny

2 Firefish (paired)

2 Clownfish (Ocellaris (False))

1 Yellow Tang

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp (paired w/ the Goby)

1 Peppermint Shrimp

2 Serpent Starfish

1 rose bubble tip anemone

These are some fish that I'm thinking would be cool to add (definitely not all of them, but some selection)

Royal Gramma

Sailfin Tang (Pacific, not Red Sea)

4-Wheel Drive Goby

Jawfish

Mandarin (pair)

Marine Betta

Cuban Hogfish

Blue Hippo Tang

Cleaner Wrasse (blue or Hawaiian)

Fourline wrasse

Midas Blenny

Any thoughts on these fish, any recommendations?

Marine Betta

Cuban Hogfish

I've always wante a marine betta myself but been concerned with their aggressive-against-crustaceans tendencies. I figure I'll probably get one of those and perhaps also a porc puffer when I get my frag tank set up.

Ok your comments and your list are not on the same page.

Your saying your lokking for a Reed Safe Non Agressive tank right?

Your Hogfish will love your Peppermint Shrimp if the Beta who spends the days hid out in rocks if I'm not mistaken doesn't get him first! ;)

Depending on the size of you Yellow Tang I would consider a Powder Blue and/or a Blue Hippo as well, I believe with your size tank that could introduce all at once and possibly change some rocks around to throw off the Yellow!

Beside a pair of Mandarans which where cool, I would look at yellow Clown Goby, B/W Heniochus Diphreutes and a pair of Rainfordi Gobies which for me are becoming a MUST the way they mouth sand all day long!

Beside a pair of Mandarans which where cool, I would look at yellow Clown Goby, B/W Heniochus Diphreutes and a pair of Rainfordi Gobies which for me are becoming a MUST the way they mouth sand all day long!

but both have the same requirements -- very very solid and everlasting pod population. Richly live sand bed.

Definitely take the cleaner wrasse off of your list. They are almost impossible to keep in captivity. Better off to leave them in the ocean.

Good point, didn't notice that. Perhaps instead a pair of cleaner gobies.

Good input everyone.

I like the idea of the Heniochus Diphreutes - I wasn't sure if those would be a good idea or not.

The cleaner gobies instead of the wrasse is also an excellent suggestion.

The tang police won't get after me for 3 tangs in a 90? I really like all the powdered tangs. My yellow tang is definitely the boss of the tank today - he's about 3.5-4" long.

Royal gramma

If you have nice caves they will hang under your structure upside down all day long. Pretty cool fish. I would add a nice bristle toothe tang rather than others. They stay smaller and they graze all day long.

but both have the same requirements -- very very solid and everlasting pod population. Richly live sand bed.

Can anyone qualify this a bit better? I have visible swarms of pods, up to 1/8" all throughout my live rock, in a ball of chaeto in my display tank, and even a colony in my corner overflow. I have a ton of tiny tube-worms, spaghetti worms, and many other things I can't identify in my rock and sand. I really want some mandarins, but don't want them to starve.

Can anyone qualify this a bit better? I have visible swarms of pods, up to 1/8" all throughout my live rock, in a ball of chaeto in my display tank, and even a colony in my corner overflow. I have a ton of tiny tube-worms, spaghetti worms, and many other things I can't identify in my rock and sand. I really want some mandarins, but don't want them to starve.

1 mandarin would probably be ok... but two would be a lot... unless they're on frozen.

how about a pair of scooter blennies? they are much easier to get on frozen food. mine LOVES marine cuisine.