Resealing a tank?

MODreefer

Question. If I’m concerned about how long the tank has sat empty before filling it up with water again, should I add a bead of silicone on top of the existing seal, or should I cut away the old seal and reseal with new silicone?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The caulk you see inside the tank is a protective one that keeps water from getting to the actual seal that holds the glass panes together.  The glass is held together and leak tight because of the thin layer of silicone squished (hopefully without bubbles or damage) between the end of one pane and the side of the other.  Then a bead of caulk is applied to the inside and tapered down to keep water from getting to that seal and damaging it.  

Having said all that, if you want to do a new bead inside the tank you'd have to scrape it all off, clean it pretty well with a razor and maybe some solvents to remove extra residue, and then re-apply.  I'm not sure a new layer over the existing one would do much.  Plus it would probably end up looking bad.

Others who have been around longer than me will be able to offer advice on a tank that has sat around for a while and if you can trust the seal or should reseal it.  I guess if I had a tank I couldn't trust I wouldn't try to repair it unless I had a really good reason.  Small tanks are relatively cheap, given the other costs in this hobby, and the potential cost of a mishap is so huge for a big tank that it wouldn't be worth it to me.

One of the tanks is your 180. Its been inside my house not exposed to any undue conditions.  The other is a 120. That is the one I'm more concerned. Since its been sitting on a dolly for a while, putting more pressure on the bottom pane.

Hmm.  My 180 should be fine, I'd think.  I only had it set up for around a year, but I would probably make sure the bulkhead seals are good.  I don't know about the 120.  You could always put it on the floor and fill it and leave it for a while to see if it seemed fine.  I would not expect a failure of the bottom pane if the caulk isn't visibly damaged, though.  It's a bit hard to see it because of the frame though, I bet.