Nuisance Xenia

maevepotter

I'm kind of at my wits end with my 75g. It's not my main display and it's a year old. It is also home to a queen angel that eats everything except for gorgonians, mushrooms, and Xenia. So I kind of let the xenia go wild in lieu of other corals. I recently plucked a bunch but of course you can never get all of it, so it's growing back in all the same places. I've also had a new baby recently so maintenance has gone by the wayside and I have green hair algae also. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and take all of the rock out.

What would you do?

Any success with removing Xenia? Scrubbing after plucking maybe?

Or does anyone want to buy a big Xenia rock?? Will trade for new rock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Should you be willing to sell a couple of frags instead of a whole rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of people using xenia as nutrient export in the refugium, so if you're willing to do the removal it may be improving your water quality :biggrin:

Not personal experience but what I've read: scrubbing or picking off the bits of flesh is really the way to do it.  There may be some chemical means, but which would also damage other things living on the rock, and it seems like, similar to mushrooms, any bit of the flesh holding on to the rock has at least a chance of healing and fully regrowing.

Thanks, yes that's what I primarily used it for and clearly i have way too many nutrients haha.

Can confirm even with careful plucking.... It comes back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk