Peninsula tank question Fiji Cube 81gal 36"x24"x22"

Whitewillsmiff

Ordered my 81 gallon Fiji Cube INT corner overflow tank combo yesterday! My goal is to place it in front of the kitchen pass through opening so I can see the tank from both sides of the (small) house. Can take a picture for reference if that helps. Believe the stand is 36"h + 22"h for the tank height, roughly 4'10" high. My issue is I would like the top of the tank to match the opening height of 5'4".

Was thinking of building a platform with 2"x6" lumber & 3/4" plywood base to place the stand on. Would double frame the 2x6's in a rectangle with 2 center braces 12" apart. Anyone done this before or see any issues with this?

I've seen people build pedestals for their tanks, I'm not a structural engineer, so I can't say for certain that would be a strong enough foundation. Probably not popular opinion, but why not get a stand built to the height you need it?

Thanks for the reply, was going to go with a custom stand setup for it but the wife only agreed to a portion of the budget I wanted (haha). So I had to make due with the combo from them. 

I don't think there would be an issue as the longest 2x6 i would have would be at most 24" long, double boxed & the 3/4" plywood on top. Hoping someone can help ease these concerns.

You're basically building either the top or bottom platform of a wood stand without the legs? What's going on for the 36" dimension? You said the longest your 2x6 is spanning is 24". Also note that 2x6 is nominal dimensions. Actual is 5.5" if you're looking for perfection. 2x6's and 3/4" plywood is plenty. You can probably go to 1/2". I'm not a structural engineer but have to play one occasionally for my day job.

6 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

You're basically building either the top or bottom platform of a wood stand without the legs? What's going on for the 36" dimension? You said the longest your 2x6 is spanning is 24". Also note that 2x6 is nominal dimensions. Actual is 5.5" if you're looking for perfection. 2x6's and 3/4" plywood is plenty. You can probably go to 1/2". I'm not a structural engineer but have to play one occasionally for my day job.

You're right, the long legs would be 36" not 24" had a brain fart. Thanks for helping confirm that I'm just overthinking it, think I'm juggling too many prep steps at once and not K.I.S.S.

Oh and was actually reading through your build thread when you replied. Looking good so far!

2 hours ago, Whitewillsmiff said:

You're right, the long legs would be 36" not 24" had a brain fart. Thanks for helping confirm that I'm just overthinking it, think I'm juggling too many prep steps at once and not K.I.S.S.

Oh and was actually reading through your build thread when you replied. Looking good so far!

Thanks and good luck!