Sharing fish medications among WAMAS

Steve G

Hi, I am stocking my QT medicine cabinet since I've been starting up a large reef tank. Keeping the full complement of medications on hand can be quite expensive, and they expire if they sit around too long. Do any of you borrow medications from or share with other club members when you find a disease?

I could run out to the LFS every time, but often you don't need a whole bottle, or you need something like chloroquine which needs an Rx from a vet. I have cupramine and am planning to buy a few others, like a coral dip for routine use. Suggestions on what to stock and whether it's feasible to think about the club as a resource?

Edited by Steve G

I have nearly every med imaginable, and I go through enough that they usually don't expire on me. Always am happy to help, although I'm a bit far from most people (Fairfax Station, VA)

I'd always stock a good coral dip (or a few), hydrogen peroxide, PraziPro, and Furan 2. Beyond that, it depends what you're doing.

I have thought that it would be cool to have a few med kits that could be loaned out like the PAR meter. Members could be charged shipping like with the PAR meter then prorated fee for amounts consumed.

I just bought a box of general cure for like $20 and used 2 of the like 20 packets for medicated fish food. Needed 1tsp of seachem focus too. That was another $12.

1 hour ago, elbowdeep88 said:

I have thought that it would be cool to have a few med kits that could be loaned out like the PAR meter. Members could be charged shipping like with the PAR meter then prorated fee for amounts consumed.

I just bought a box of general cure for like $20 and used 2 of the like 20 packets for medicated fish food. Needed 1tsp of seachem focus too. That was another $12.

Do I hear you volunteering to run this? :clap:

Maybe. I’m in Richmond so let me see if that would add extra shipping time/cost.

Would you be willing to make some recommendations as to what to include in the kit and some reference articles for folks to consult? I am thinking mostly fish remedies. Thoughts?

I imagine this would be for sick fish emergencies where you can't get to an LFS or order in time, so not routine use. Also, you would want it somewhere you can drive out any time, not wait for shipping, like the PAR meter.

One option would be to set up a google sheet where...

Each column is a type of medication, organized into groups based on what they treat.

Each row would be a WAMAS member who puts a marker (X) indicating that they have that medication and are willing to share.

The color of the marker can be region, like MD outside beltway, VA outside beltway, and inside the beltway.

If you are a reefer in need (sick fish), you consult the sheet and PM the club member closest to you who indicated they have what you need. Anybody who ever benefits from the emergency med kit board could be expected to stock up and be a donor, add themselves to the list, for at least some type of medication.

I imagine this would make sense for the rarer meds. For example, I don't want to keep formalin in my house but somebody without kids at home may be able to. SOmeone else may have wrangled a chloroquine Rx. etc.