What’s This on my Hippo Tangs eye??

XxTech MoneyxX

Hello-Anyone want to take a stab a naming what is going on with my hippo tangs eye?? Some might say bacterial infection...

It has been acting weird like running into rocks and acting blind when attempting to eat, maybe it is blind?

Also, I will note this tang and all my fish that include 4 clownfish, fire fish, and 4 other tangs went through a 4-month fight with ich...it’s a long story but, they are all ich free and back in the main display doing awesome, but not the hippo :-( it stays at the bottom all the time and does switch to the other side of the tank from time-to-time and has been malnutrition for over a month now...barely eats and never swims to get flakes, pellets or even LRS.

Any advice to saving my hippo would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you have gone through what I have with both types of copper and hypo salinity finally being the “I” word destroyer!

Thank you in advance!!
fe72509e5a8dac2d8a56234f0e6d26b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try a fresh water dip to see if there are flukes. Look up proper procedure (match temp and heavily aerate fresh water before dip, 5 min max in dip). Probably also secondary infection

try a fresh water dip to see if there are flukes. Look up proper procedure (match temp and heavily aerate fresh water before dip, 5 min max in dip). Probably also secondary infection

Thank you for your response.

I don’t think it is flukes due to going through 30 days of hypo salinity and copper power and cupramine.

They also look like bubbles and flukes are flat...

Thank you for your response.

I don’t think it is flukes due to going through 30 days of hypo salinity and copper power and cupramine.

They also look like bubbles and flukes are flat...

did you ever treat with prazi? the bubbles are likely infection, which can be caused by flukes. Either way, do you have a hospital tank that you can treat with antibiotics? I’d still do the fresh water dip before transfer just to check for flukes

did you ever treat with prazi? the bubbles are likely infection, which can be caused by flukes. Either way, do you have a hospital tank that you can treat with antibiotics? I’d still do the fresh water dip before transfer just to check for flukes

No, never treated with prazi. I do have a 10g that is free at the moment.

What antibiotics do you recommend, and would this explain the fish being lethargic and thinning out?

If it were flukes it would likely have cloudy eyes. Look up popeye. Maybe a result of injury to the eye.

Yes, it’s never been cloudy. Only added more bubbles overtime but, started out as one bubble??

erythromycin would probably be my first recommendation (maracyn). Kanaplex or maracyn2 are also potentials. Determining the type of infection is tough, so definitely do some more research to try to decide which would be best

erythromycin would probably be my first recommendation (maracyn). Kanaplex or maracyn2 are also potentials. Determining the type of infection is tough, so definitely do some more research to try to decide which would be best

Okay, thank you. I have never used either of these so, I for sure need to do some research.

i just did a quick search and found this thread on reef2reef which seems similar, and suggests some sort of gas bubble disease. Do you have a lot of micro bubbles or are bubble scrubbing?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/air-bubble-over-eye.687412/

Thanks for researching this. My son raised this to my attention last night as well.

Even when they were all in the QT, I never had micro bubbles in the tank. However, I did keep it aerated very well due to copper meds. But, all the other fish didn’t get this.

I’m going to go grab kanaplex tomorrow and do a week treatment in the 10g to see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update to my hippo tang...This guy has still not gotten any better... I have transferred him to a ten gallon QT and added 1/2 teaspoon of prazi pro but, I’m not noticing him gaining any weight. Haven’t seen him eat either but nori is just about gone in 24 hrs. I started dose on 3 JAN.

I also have kanaplex that I was going to try 9 Nov after a week of the prazi.

Any other ideas? I could use the help.

5a868bba11c26f192b30f0f08ef84973.jpg

Wanted to show the light coming through him to show how skinny he is...

Sorry your fish isn’t doing well. You can try Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5g) to help reduce the swelling. It might also help if the fish is having swim bladder issues. I notice it has its head down in both pictures and it might explain what you mentioned about swimming erratically and bumping into things. I still suspect the eye issue is due to an injury. Also, since you have Kanaplex go ahead and try that too. Might want to point a powerhead towards the surface, or add an air stone in case you encounter a bacterial bloom and need extra oxygen.

Make sure you maintain good water parameters e.g. stable salinity, no ammonia or nitrites etc.

Sorry your fish isn’t doing well. You can try Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5g) to help reduce the swelling. It might also help if the fish is having swim bladder issues. I notice it has its head down in both pictures and it might explain what you mentioned about swimming erratically and bumping into things. I still suspect the eye issue is due to an injury. Also, since you have Kanaplex go ahead and try that too. Might want to point a powerhead towards the surface, or add an air stone in case you encounter a bacterial bloom and need extra oxygen.

Make sure you maintain good water parameters e.g. stable salinity, no ammonia or nitrites etc.

Awesome! Good to see a reply!

Yeah, it’s been tough seeing him like this for so long...

Can I do the epsom salt with the prazi? I know I cant start the kanaplex u til the week of prazi is over right? Also, I planned to do a 100 percent water change after prazi before starting the kanaplex is that the right thing to do?

Finally, yes he doesn’t swim at all, and when he tries just goes right back to the bottom with his head down. I will point the power head up when starting the kanaplex as well. Thank you for your help!

15 minutes ago, XxTech MoneyxX said:

Awesome! Good to see a reply!

Yeah, it’s been tough seeing him like this for so long...

Can I do the epsom salt with the prazi? I know I cant start the kanaplex u til the week of prazi is over right? Also, I planned to do a 100 percent water change after prazi before starting the kanaplex is that the right thing to do?

Finally, yes he doesn’t swim at all, and when he tries just goes right back to the bottom with his head down. I will point the power head up when starting the kanaplex as well. Thank you for your help!

You can add the epsom salt now. I would wait on the antibiotic until you finish the prazi.

edit... and yes you can do 100% water change to remove the prazi. Carbon also helps, but probably not needed if changing out all the water and need to start a round of antibiotics.

Edited by WheresTheReef

You can add the epsom salt now. I would wait on the antibiotic until you finish the prazi.

edit... and yes you can do 100% water change to remove the prazi. Carbon also helps, but probably not needed if changing out all the water and need to start a round of antibiotics.

Nice, I will add the epsom salt now.

I’ll do the water change on day 8. Followed by kanaplex...fingers crossed thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, XxTech MoneyxX said:

Thank you for all of the help with my hippo, he has passed on.

Mods, please close, thank you.

Sorry to hear. The fish really looked pretty far gone. Before they close this thread, would you be open to sharing any of your experiences and anything you would do differently? For example, what you tried and any response. Just to treat this as a learning experience for others. If you prefer not to then no worries.

5 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Sorry to hear. The fish really looked pretty far gone. Before they close this thread, would you be open to sharing any of your experiences and anything you would do differently? 

6 hours ago, XxTech MoneyxX said:

Mods, please close, thank you.

We actually don't lock threads for this exact purpose, thanks!