RBTA attacking corals

willettmeister

I have a RBTA that has decided that it wants to be on the same rock as several of my other corals.  Some of them are dying off after the nem comes to them.  I have a neon leather though that I really don't want to lose.  Should I just move the nem?  Will it just move back.  Should I try to move the corals that I want to keep since it seems the nem likes that rock?  I've been holding off on writing this but it's been 3 or 4 days now.

Nems have a habit of moving in my opinion. They will kill most things they touch. I don’t believe that it would kill a leather but it might upset it. 

It will stop moving when it finds its happy place but there is always a chance it will

move again or even split and then you have two nems moving. 

one of the reasons I don’t keep them in my tank. I have way to much SPS to risk that

I had a RBTA in my 30 long.  It was beautiful, but one day it decided to move.  There was nothing I could do about it.  Then it split.  Then they would both move.  Ultimately they went to a new home with WAMAS members.  I miss them in the tank but for my situation it was way too much to worry about.  For me I would probably only do one again with a massive tank or a nem only tank, and probably the latter.  I think a nice nem cube attached to a preexisting system would be cool.  Best of luck!

My GBTA has found its spot, and has not moved in at least 10 years.  It found a place where it could put its foot deep into a crack in the rocks.  I would suggest moving the corals, in the hope that the anemone will stay put in its new place.  Two caveats: 1) anemones and tanks differ, and some never settle down; 2) they can get big enough (mine is about 2 ft across) that they can wipe out corals in a small tank, even if they never move.  

My leathers definitely suffer if they contact the anemone, so I expect that yours will be unhappy as well. 

If you move the anemone, it is likely to keep moving.  It is either looking for a better place, or avoiding something that it does not like.

I've heard others put them on it's on rock if you have a sandbed.  They don't like to travel through the sand, although they can.