Looking for licensed contractor for DC to help w/fish room

Steve G

I need recommendations for a good contractor who is licensed to work in DC. I have architectural drawings and a city permit, but my usual contractor (a very good handyman) just told me he's not licensed. It's some pretty basic plumbing, electrical, waterproofing, and drywall, but the main thing I need is installation of a floor drain, which involves drilling out the slab and making a channel. The fish room is about 10x10 and I can supply drawings. I want someone who does good work, above board, to code.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Just to report back, I found a contractor, Midas Construction, which was amazing. The owner, Milos, is the best contractor I've ever worked with (and I've worked with many over the last 20 years in DC). Very professional, cleans up, does everything by the book (code, permits), and excellent communication and punctuality. Happy to share his contact info.

5 minutes ago, epleeds said:

We need some pics. Haha

I have a build thread on reef2reef with lots of pics. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/240g-blair-reef-project.727274/

one cool thing was how they moved the tank into my basement. They removed a window and banister and built a ramp so the 400lb. tank never had to be rotated or even raised. This was their first tank move and I was terrified but it was beautiful. 

E8D7ABBE-1401-4B3D-8873-3DFFCAB51F2B.jpeg

85F3013B-C311-4DDA-B700-00D5D91D7418.jpeg

F425732D-00BE-4F43-BF15-BE2A2CEC9C88.jpeg

It’s hard to see in the pic (or in person) because they hid it really well it there are three movable panels. Front top and right top are on hinges. Lower right (sump access panel) is attached with magnets and pops out. 

they put in a 5’ floor drain, upgraded the fish room lighting and electrical to three gfci circuits. 

before all that they moved the supports for a retaining wall and added 6 concrete footers that were called for by the structural engineer (2 whole house supports and 4 corners of the stand). Our basement slab was just a few inches thick. In one spot it was half an inch thick. You could break it with a screwdriver. 

B052EF81-4E46-4729-BCDD-4B46ADA7D9F0.jpeg

5E007CA1-9D14-475D-A45A-C0D42E1930C6.jpeg

678A9BAC-9426-486D-BAD4-510930F301BB.jpeg

E95DE883-E674-4E31-8E04-A7134847C886.jpeg

Looking great! Just browsed your build thread. I’m going through a similar journey with my tank (84”x30”x24”). Have had water in it since early September (almost exactly one year after ordering it). No livestock yet. Need to let my bank account recover and actually populate a build thread of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk