Vendors in the MD area

dhoch

And I didn't meant to make it a debate or have any hard feelings.

I do recognize that BRK is a unique LFS because of all of its good attributes already listed.

We are talking about MOST LFS, especially ones I've (and others) have experienced here in MD. If anything, the ones we are complaining about are your competition.

I'm grateful for you guys for supporting WAMAS and having a discount (although I haven't had a chance to take advantage of this).

In addition to other bad things... several LFS here in MD no longer honor CMAS or other MAS discounts :(

Also... I am still sticking to my point about the merchant needs to make the move first to meet the needs of its customers or offer the customer something he can't get elsewhere. As a consumer, I want the most my money can buy. As a businessman (my family owns two retail stores), I want to attract customers with something that they want in order to have them come initially and keep them coming... whether that is with my prices, service, professionality, etc or a combination of those things. I don't tell customers, "hey come support me, and THEN I'll meet your needs." Business just doesn't seem to work like that in my head. Once a loyal customer, it does make sense that you will be treated somewhat (or a lot) better... in this case, getting info on new shipments, discounts, help on the side, etc. So in that sense of course it is circular...

Services like being able to call someone's cell for emergencies or help is indeed great as Squiddly has experienced.

I will be the first to admit I will do my research and make a smart purchase, partly based on cost. As you mentioned service is the key, I get many calls from people that have bought products elseware, mostly internet, asking me for help. I have learned that if it is something that is going to require any type of support buy locally, if its an item that is simple like a PVC fitting internet is fine. Unfortunatly there are too many LFS that do not offer support for items they sell, and shame on them for that. All I can say is come on out and check us out, I promise you will not be dissapointed! Just look at this thread, there are absolutly no hard fellings toword anyone (at least as far as I'm concerned) I think it is quite obvious that we are passionate about our business, hence why we provide what we do.

Take care,

john

• 1 month later...

Hey dhoch,

Just wanted to say that there is a vendor very close to us that carrys tons of plumbing supplies. Aquatic Creations in Ijamsville, MD, right south of Urbana on 355. They're mostly a pond supplier so they carry tons of unique plumbing parts. But they also have SW fish and a few corals so it can be fun to check out what they have. They sometimes carry high end skimmers but you won't find t-5s there.

Here's their online catalog link: http://www.aquaticcreationsltd.com/

Edited by rooroo

I've been there a number of times (aquatic creations).... A number of my fish (including my Blue Chin Trigger, and red scooter blenny) came from there.

There plumbing supply is ok, but got to BRK... that's a place that has plumbing supplies... More often than not when I"m at Aquatic Creations they don't have quite what I need.

Aquatic Creations SW fish is very good (especially when compared to the "other" local store), their coral selection is slim, and they won't do anything to improve it... I even tried over a year ago to bring them sunlight slupply (teh T5 supplier that BRK now has).... I borught them the distributer information and card and brouchure, and they did nothing with it... (after that my opinion of them dropped)... They don't have any true high end skimmers (might carry a turbofloter, but nothing really high end), and teh prices.... I can order a skimmer from That Fish Place, have it shipped, resell it at 20% profit, and still under sell them....that to me means a little too much on their markup.

Dave

Their coral selection has improved a bit, but the owner is very set in his ways of how he takes care of the coral tank. He's probably not heard much of t-5s if at all, generally sticks to LPS and softies, and the business is pretty pond oriented so understandibly the staff is trained on mostly pond products and fish. I was in there last week and their selection was pretty nice, at least for one whos interested in LPS and softies.

I've always found what I needed as far as plumbing supplies go, and recently their stock for skimmers seems to have improved. I do agree, their markup is pretty substantial, but I guess when you don't specialize in SW supplies you tend to mark it up more. Anyway, just wanted to make sure you knew they were there.

Aquatic Creations SW fish is very good (especially when compared to the "other" local store), their coral selection is slim, and they won't do anything to improve it... I even tried over a year ago to bring them sunlight slupply (teh T5 supplier that BRK now has).... I borught them the distributer information and card and brouchure, and they did nothing with it... (after that my opinion of them dropped)... They don't have any true high end skimmers (might carry a turbofloter, but nothing really high end), and teh prices.... I can order a skimmer from That Fish Place, have it shipped, resell it at 20% profit, and still under sell them....that to me means a little too much on their markup.

Dave

In all fairness to Aquatic Creations they are not catering to hardcore reefkeepers and dont really have any intention to. I have known the owner since he first opened the store. In fact I was one of his first saltwater customers and probably bought the first coral he ever sold out of the store back in the mid/late 80's. The majority of his saltwater customers are fish only. I gained a lot of respect for Bill a number of years ago when he dumped his fish supplier because of DOA and poor handling/health issues. He switched to a more expensive supplier that had better success on the health and overall quality of the fish. I have a ton of respect for any store owner that has the ethics to go with a higher cost supplier for healthier fish as opposed to doing high volume and sarificing health/qualiy. Reefkeepers are not his target market for his business and he has no real desire to expand into the high end reef market. I can respect that. The livestock he carries is very healthy and his store has remained largely unchanged since he first opened it. I still talk to the owner and buy fish from him, I know hes not catering to me as a reefkeeper but I respect him as a business owner who has a nice clean store with healthy livestock and relatively knowledgable staff. His markup on saltwater supplies is high but in the area of his business that is his main focus he is competative.

I have known the owner of the "other store" since the early 80's when they use to be located in downtown Frederick. My first reeftank was bought there when there was no online vendors, reefcentral, etc. No real comment other than the store has been in Frederick for a long time and I have seen many come and go in that time. They arent really catering to high end reefkeepers either. They have some better equipment over the last several years since the current manager started but their markup is really high on a lot of things and I have some personal issue with the store cleanliness and overall quality of the livestock. They have a business model that is working and that is unlikely to change.

I have helped a friend sit up a full line pet store (not one of those 2) and the problem with getting a local store to cater to higher end reefkeepers is that the customer base just isnt there to support a storefront. They would never do enough volume to offer competative prices. Without getting into too much detail and boring everyone to death the market really isnt there and the costs of having a storefront are way to high to have such a small target market. It has been tried within the last 5 years or so and has failed. The only way I could see someone doing it would be to have a storefront and an online component but even at that there is a ton of online competition and a new online venture would be hard pressed to beat PA, MD or Drs. F&S on price. For Livestock an east coast online vendor would have a hard time beating vendors like Reefermadness or Dr. Mac for high end rare stuff unless they were going to LA handpicking every couple weeks. And if they tried to do volume retail on common corals they will have a hard time beating the 3 vendors I mentioned earlier on price. There is a reason that Drs. F&S bought some other online vendors a few years ago.

I have to say in all honesty that I have been to BRK and F&F for the first time in the last month or so and I was pleasantly suprised. I have been in this hobby for a very long time and I have seen a lot of fish stores, both good and bad, both BRK and F&F where great because the people running them are hobbiests. Good selection of livestock, reasonable prices and both are very knowledgable about the hobby. At the same time neither is depending solely on the high end reefkeepers to keep there doors opened. They cater to WAMAS because they are hobbiest not because WAMAS is keeping them in business :-)

Hey I'm not knocking the places, I've just tried to get, at least aquatic creations, to change even a little, but I understand it's not in their business model, and that's fine and I respect it.... I still shop there when I need something... I do have, as you said, problems with the other LFS (livestock issues mostly)...

Dave

Hey I'm not knocking the places, I've just tried to get, at least aquatic creations, to change even a little, but I understand it's not in their business model, and that's fine and I respect it.... I still shop there when I need something... I do have, as you said, problems with the other LFS (livestock issues mostly)...

Dave

I never thought you were knocking them Dave, heck as a hobbiest I would love to see a store that had what I want without having to drive 1+ hour in metro area traffic. I have talked to Bill at AC years ago about reefkeeping, ask him if he ever considered setting up a tank to sell SPS corals, etc he just isnt interested in that. I have talked to the owner of the "other store" many times and in the case of that store I think it stopped being a hobby a very long time ago. I am just long winded sometimes when I post :-)

Edited by SDBDRZ