Trouble with this coral need some advice.

Guest Rileyporter

Guest Rileyporter

I put this xenia in 3 days ago. At first it opened up and everything was good. THe sump overflowed and then later that nite i started seeing it look a little "vein'ey" or stringy. My tank has been solid 82 - 84 ish. I just installed some fans to try to help (thought this might be because of the heat) its running 78 - 82ish now.

I did a 20% partial water change last nite too... Is there something I am missing. My Ph is around 8.0 8.2 ish.. I know there are lots of other stuff to post but I am late for work just wated to shoot this out before I left to see if anyone might know whats up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rileyporter/FishTank

RileyIMG_3619.JPG

Not much you can do right now. Xenia is funny, it thrives like a weed in some tanks, fails in others. A couple of things that I've heard but have no proof on: it will fail if PH drops much below 8.0 or if the temp drops much below 78 (you are okay on both at the moment).

It has only been a few days, so it needs some time to adjust. The only thing that worries me is the youth of your tank. I would double check the specific gravity, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. If those are all still acceptable then I would just keep an eye on it.

If things don't look better in about a week or it starts taking a drastic turn for the worse, you could consider moving it to a different location in the tank. I believe Raf had it about half way up his tank and it was under T5s, we can try to guess what that light would compare to in your tank. I doubt that is an issue though. I believe you had PCs on the tank and I don't think it is at all likely that you are giving it too much light.

my xenia goes threw changes some times so I would just keep watch....sometimes looks great, other times not so much....have noticed it splitting too. What used to be one stalk is now two is a smaller piece having totally split off...mine is 1/2 way up my tank and I used to have PC lights (4x65) but now running 2x175 MH lights and lots of water flow (2 x mj1200, 1 x JBJ DUAL OUTPUT 290gph, 1 x mj1200 modded care of mj-mods.com, and not to mention the flow from the sump Ehiem 1262).

my xenia goes threw changes some times so I would just keep watch....sometimes looks great, other times not so much....have noticed it splitting too. What used to be one stalk is now two is a smaller piece having totally split off...mine is 1/2 way up my tank and I used to have PC lights (4x65) but now running 2x175 MH lights and lots of water flow (2 x mj1200, 1 x JBJ DUAL OUTPUT 290gph, 1 x mj1200 modded care of mj-mods.com, and not to mention the flow from the sump Ehiem 1262).

My xenia started off as 2 stalks and has now split to about 4 or 5 and is splitting again. This is all w/in probably 2 months time. I pumped water out so that I could move my tank and when I pumped it back in the xenia looked like it just passed out and it was a little bumpy too. It usually stands a good 4" up in my tank. After about 20 min, it was back to normal again. I'm currently running PC 4x65w and am interested to see what they do once I put my two 250w MH up. Very finiky creatures.