New tank algae. What is next?

elbowdeep88

My tank has been up for 3 months (no livestock) and I am trying to decide whether to wait longer before adding CUC. Initially planned to let it go until June so I could:

1. Get equipment dialed in

2. Let the environment stabilize (and learn what stable means for this system)

3. See what sorts of pests I may have introduced and combat them early

---Dec 2019. Purchased used Red Sea 170 (43 gal)

---Jan 2020. Decided on black lava rock vs regular live rock and started cycling in a bin with equipment using the @zygote2k method :biggrin: and nice looking rubble from some established tanks. Added various nutrients every few weeks to keep it well fed.

---Mid March. Set up the tank and have been running the light since then. Been very pleased with the life I have seen that seems to come and go in phases (in this order): cotton candy algae, diatomes, pods, hydroids, green hair, green film, and now maybe some light cyano coming in. Haven't seen any bryopsis, dinos, or much cyano. I have been adding a few small Betta food pellets (wife's fish) every other day to keep nutrients going in. Doing EOW 15% WC. Water is RODI 0 tds IOpurple.

Green hair and green film is starting to take over as expected. Should I:

1. Continue to let it ride and naturally balance out, continuing EOW waterchanges

2. #1 but with intentional algae removal/syphon during WC

3. #2 and go ahead and add a CUC

I guess my concerns are:

A. If I let it ride, will it be too hard to get in check later?

B. If I add a CUC now, will that needlessly truncate my tank stabilization period and/or limit algae control options later?

Appreciate any thoughts. Not in a hurry here, but don't want lack of action to produce future problems.

20200422_081236 (1).jpg

Edited by elbowdeep88