Wave makers

achansek

Hi,

I am a discus fish person venturing into saltwater. I am curious to create a mangrove ecosystem. While most hobbyists use traditional wave makers like Ecotech marine to create flow, I also see certain other methods online. I am curious to see why power heads/wave makers are preferred over these methods. Thanks in advance.

1. Panta Rhei has a proprietary wave making technology as shown here.

2. SCWD wavemakers as found on marine depot. Salt water aquarium also featured a large aquarium where flow is created from the return pump.

https://www.marinedepot.com/scwd-wavemaker-switching-current-water-director-squid-1-inch?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=3Q1113&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMDhy6-k6AIVTuDICh3PxwxjEAQYASABEgKqoPD_BwE&

3. DIY solutions like these that create realistic waves

It boils down to personal preference, affordability, technology, and reliability.

The vortechs aren't exactly cheap, but they are fairly reliable and operate without wires in the tank, plus ecotech has amazing customer service.

My personal opinion, if water is moving in a way that coral are happy with, who cares what it looks like. As long as it didn't put your bank account in a bad place and you trust it enough to not electrocute the tank or fail at the most inopportune time, you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk