Skimmer Problem- Suggestions Please

VA Reefdog

See my tank build for further details--  this is sort of duplicate post-- need some suggestions on what to do next. 

120 gallon tank/40 gallon breeder sump.  Looking at mixed reef-- medium stocking.

Got used skimmer-- Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT 8" Super Cone Skimmer.  Footprint - 15" x 11.2"/Height - 23.2".
Recommended Water Height: 7.5" - 9".   Built sump around it.  This should be an awesome skimmer for this tank.  Super psyched about it.  
Here is the specs and info from BRS for more details if needed.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/elite-200-int-8-super-cone-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html?msclkid=bb11f463a06118b02454a995289db3e2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping>Octopus>Brand (MAP)&utm_term=4577335627125042&utm_content=Octopus

After posting some pics-- a fellow reefer asked- can you get the skimmer body out of the sump/stand?   

Found out today that NO-I CAN'T!!!!   Even taking the skimmer apart-- it is 9.75 inch of casted plastic at its narrowest.

49223365938_5f51987bfd.jpgIMG_8016 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

49224072292_668e3f1958.jpgIMG_8017 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

So I just took tank off stand and removed skimmer from stand/sump.

Any suggestions.  I don't want to have a skimmer in the sump I can't replace if a part breaks or if I need to do full cleaning.  I am not dismantling a tank because I oversized the skimmer.  The only thought I have is to go smaller-- make sure it is 8 inch total diameter before installing?  Any suggestions on skimmers that would fit the bill?

Please help.  

Thank you.

Greg

In my opinion, if you can get the skimmer cup off as well as pull the pump out too, then your fine. I have a tank that’s the same way. The builder miscalculated on the stand interior height and it is what it is. My skimmmet body can’t come out unless I pull the sump, but I can clean the skimmer cup and pull the pump if it fails. The acrylic body of the skimmer is not an issue to pull out in my opinion. 

So I can get cup off and out. I can easily get the pump out. 

What about cleaning?  I used to take out the old one to clean the neck of the it and use vinegar water as needed.  

Does the body/bubble plate ever go bad/need to be changed?  What is the likelihood of ever needing to change it out.  It is a solid/well made beast of acrylic/plastic.  It seems incredibly durable.  

I just don't want to start putting my tank together until I have this figured out. 

epleeds-- how long have you you run the tank above that you mentioned?

Thanks.

Edited by VA Reefdog

Thank you epleeds.

I was going to just run with it but Kyle suggested notching stand -  so with notch and some sanding small spot on cross bar- I can now rotate skimmer into and out of sump.  It is as tight as can be but it will work.  Hopefully-- my tank will run like yours without ever needing to try to get it out-- but atleast I know it is possible.

thanks again.

Can you cut a piece of plywood for the bottom and then notch out the inside so the sump can set down a few inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut out a small notch in the stand (on the crossbar).  I started small and sanded/smoothed it down as I went and it turned out to only need just a little off.  It allows for the skimmer to get in/out with a rotation/twist. 

So thank you all for the suggestions--  problem has been solved.  I appreciate all the input.

Greg