pH - winter time

A.ocellaris

Hey guys,

I know that people tell others not to chase pH, but the thing is that I've noticed my SPS are not as happy as they used to be (other parameters remain within range). pH is dropping to 7.40 during night and remains around 7.8 during the day (measured with two point-calibrated Hanna pH meter) . Opening windows is temporary fix and I am looking for a long term solution. Also, I can't throw an air line thru the wall. I have a CO2 scrubber attached to my worthless skimmer and it doesn't do much (i guess it does suck in much air to make a difference). Keep in mind this is an IM 40 (all in one), so sump is very limited.

I guess I've tried several things and do not work well. My next idea is to add chaeto to a compartment with algae light and turn it on during the night? Not sure how much of a difference it would make though. 

Any recommendations? 

Edited by A.ocellaris

I actually have the opposite winter ph effect. My ph runs lower in the summer months when the ac is on, higher in winter when heat is on. My tank is located in the basement, so that’s part of my co2 problem. I do run a recirculating co2 scrubber, and get very good results. Summertime PH range 8.1-8.2ish, winter PH range 8.2-8.35ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you currently use for dosing? You might want to give kalk a try for higher ph boost

2 hours ago, jhOU said:

What do you currently use for dosing? You might want to give kalk a try for higher ph boost

Interesting. I dose RedSea Alkalinity, Calcium and magnesium. Alk is between 8.2-9.2.