Lugol's dip

chefthomasr

I dip all new corals with Lugols. I just dump it in till water turns red and let it sit for 10-15 mins. I once forgot some zoas and they sat in it for over an hour with no ill effecs other than taking a little longer to open up. But for Kent Marine Lugols solution heres the correct way to do it.

In a seperate container add 40 drops of Lugols solution to a gallon of aquarium water and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

I like Kent lugols and reccomend it over normal Kent and other Iodines.

What is the purpose of dipping the corals in the lugols?

Iodine at certtain concentrations is a disinfectant almost as strong as chlorine....it hasa small margin that separates toxicity between corals and pests, pathogens, etc. soooo follow the package dosing to the drop!

for stonies(sps, havent done it with LPS), I have been experimenting with a 10 second FW dip, I used it on a coral piece that came in three weeks ago with acro nudies, and it worked like a charm. no adverse effects on the coral have been observed yet.

Sean

"... worked like a charm. no adverse effects on the coral have been observed yet."

But, what are the positive effects? How do you know if you have positive effects?

fab

"... worked like a charm. no adverse effects on the coral have been observed yet."

But, what are the positive effects? How do you know if you have positive effects?

fab

the FW dip works only for killing animals/worms/pests that are sensitive to hypo saliniztion....it isnt meant to help restore necrosing tissue, or kill virulent pathogens or bacterial infections. Iodine is one of the best for the latter

Sean

There was an article awhile back that someone had posted a link to about how they were growing "super corals" by exposing coral eggs when they first divided to hypersalinity. This was resulting in corals that grew to be more disease resistant and more tolerant of adverse water conditions, hopefully helping reefs to recover by restocking them with these hardier corals. I wonder if this would also work on new corals? Hyposalinity kills slowly while freshwater dips can kill off some nuisance pests, so I wonder if hypersalinity dips would also do something?

There was an article awhile back that someone had posted a link to about how they were growing "super corals" by exposing coral eggs when they first divided to hypersalinity. This was resulting in corals that grew to be more disease resistant and more tolerant of adverse water conditions, hopefully helping reefs to recover by restocking them with these hardier corals. I wonder if this would also work on new corals? Hyposalinity kills slowly while freshwater dips can kill off some nuisance pests, so I wonder if hypersalinity dips would also do something?

Thats a good point....ever since ive kept reef tanks with little to no fish, I have had great success by keeping the SG at 1.026-.027. faster growth cleaner water. I def think there could be something to it, but Im not sure why...on a chemical level that is.

Sean