GFCI and renting

chefthomasr

Hi all,

The outlets near my tank are old sketchy things - just like the rest of our building. I've been talking to the maintenance guy in my building and he said he could replace them with GFCI no problem.

So I called my landlord and asked him if that would be ok. I'd pay for everything and it would be done by the electrician who takes care of our building. Well as the understatement of the year he went ape. Why you ask? Put it on the list of what I don't know.

But I'm still thinking I need some. Is there anyway I can have our equipment plugged into a GFCI outlet which will then be plugged in to the old wall outlet?

Thanks as always,

Jenny

Jenny,

you can buy a plug/extension cord that has GFCI built in...

eg: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TW39013

You can get the same thing at most home depots/lowes

Dave

I think even wal-mart has "kid-safe" GFCI powerstrips. I don't think they are explicitly labeld as GFCI, but they are.

I got a great black & decker powerstrip from home-depo that has waterproof plug covers and an extension cord with a GFCI plug on it.

I have a plug in gfci sitting in my closet of unused fish tank items, It worked great for me until I happened to have a extra gfci and just hardwired one in. Bring me a small frag and it's yours.

Thanks for the info. I knew there must be something out there. Thanks guys!

Dandy,

I would love to.

Rocko,

Saturday. I won the lobster auction :biggrin:

Thank you guys so much!

yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. landlord wouldnt replace the socket with gfci. I bought the gfci extension cord from home depot with 3 outlets, it was $26 i think.

Thanks for the info. I knew there must be something out there. Thanks guys!

Dandy,

I would love to.

Rocko,

Saturday. I won the lobster auction :biggrin:

Thank you guys so much!

cool, i will give it to John, as i am going out of town this weekend. He should have it then.

Rocko,

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Scarlet,

Aren't landlords the funnest?!!?? :biggrin: That's ok he'll have to replace them if he ever sells the condo b/c the 2 outlets directly behind the kitchen sink aren't GFCI and neither are the ones in the bathroom. His loss. I would've paid for them.