HELP! My nitrates are running amok!

RHF did a good study (or was Delbek I forget) about the optimim size grains (and really you want a variety)... It turned out that it was satisfied very well by a play sand that you can no longer get...

In general smaller is better though (more surface area & less gaps so bigger anerobic area for nitrate reduction).

Dave

(edited)

RHF did a good study (or was Delbek I forget) about the optimim size grains (and really you want a variety)... It turned out that it was satisfied very well by a play sand that you can no longer get...

In general smaller is better though (more surface area & less gaps so bigger anerobic area for nitrate reduction).

Dave

Dave you said something about a variety, If I'm olny doing about a 2 to -2.5 inch sand bed would it be better to have a mix of crushed coral and fine sand, or just fine sand?, I'm going to get a Remote deep sand bed set up and just put play sand in that.... But for the tank, where would be a good place to get that fine white sand, for cheap that I see in alot of tanks?

Edited by jason the filter freak

I would still just use fine sand... the variation that I'm talking about is still on a very small level.

Dave

It's not as much a particle size issue. In order to be successful with any sized particle sand bed, you must have strong circulation inside the aquarium. Without it, you will fail miserably.

My sand bed is 15+ years old and is a mixed grade arragonite material.

Chip,

Do you replace your sand ata all?

BTW what does your saturday look like?

Dave

Chip,

Dave

Sat looks fine for me

I've decided I'm going to switch over to sand, and jst pick out and keep a few shells from my former substrate for new hermit homes, etc.

I have now the output from a fluval 305, and 405 canister filter, and from a 400 gph pump thats running my sump, plus two power sweep power heads for circulation at the moment.

Just how stong should my circulation be? Whats a good gauge.... Due to limited space and the tendancy for powerheads to suck up sand and umm limited space I'm about to pull my super sponge filters to make room to add more power heads. What does any one think about cheap and effective wave making strips?

Chip,

Dave

I add periodically as I see a need.

I'm not sure the need is a result of disolving as some claim, or the simple fact that it may get moved by the inhabs or by the volume of random current relocating it. My sand bed is constantly evolving.

I have 2 weddings and a large party to finnish and set up plus walk in's.

I work till 5:00 most Saturdays.

I add periodically as I see a need.

I'm not sure the need is a result of disolving as some claim, or the simple fact that it may get moved by the inhabs or by the volume of random current relocating it. My sand bed is constantly evolving.

I have 2 weddings and a large party to finnish and set up plus walk in's.

I work till 5:00 most Saturdays.

I'm confused what's this saturday buisness all about, I thought I was helping move a tank and such sat, what about weddings? I'm confused. :why: :hammer:

'm confused what's this saturday buisness all about, I thought I was helping move a tank and such sat, what about weddings? I'm confused. why.gif hammer.gif

We all know and are patiently bearing with you. :biggrin:

This is the one you started about nitrates running a mock not the tank move thread.

Try this thread if you want to help move a tank

We all know and are patiently bearing with you. :biggrin:

This is the one you started about nitrates running a mock not the tank move thread.

Try this thread if you want to help move a tank

last I checked I was helping move the tank and supplies, I didn't know what any of that had to do with a wedding or flowers....

I should have put the saturday note in a PM to chip... sorry my bad.

Dave

I should have put the saturday note in a PM to chip... sorry my bad.

Dave

Got it thanks for clearing that up!! :biggrin:

:bluefish: Ok, so I've learned a few new things. Now can any one reccomend one style of skimer over another, be it priziom skimmer, needle wheel, spray injection, air driven... What the best option? :fish:

If I may,

What did you use to test your nitrates?

And add,

Any sponge filters in a tank your size will harbor and then let go of nitrates.

Canister filters with the "filter ' inside can also. Most now use them to hold media of choice.

Simply removing the sponges, canister "filter" and exchanging water regularly will help you rapidly.

You can still use the canister for circulation if you choose

A good skimmer is always a great debate. I use a high volume DIY downdraft skimmer.

A well planned and maintained sand bed will to.

It's not as much a particle size issue. In order to be successful with any sized particle sand bed, you must have strong circulation inside the aquarium. Without it, you will fail miserably.