Test kits not based on color perception?

Guest Amber Nussbaum

Guest Amber Nussbaum

I was thinking tonight, while testing my water, how different people's perception of color could yield far different results with water testing kits. Every test kit I have is based on color perception.

My brother is color blind (and I know it's a fairly common affliction, especially with men) and I was thinking, if he wanted to start keeping a tank, how the heck would he test his water?

Are there kits out there that are based on some other criteria?

Guest tgallo
yes there are other kits not based on color, made by  capt.jpg<a href="www.salifert.com" target="_blank">www.salifert.com</a>

Hmmm.  All my Salifert kits rely on a color change  I couldn't find a kit on their pages that didn't state that it is not based on color.   I think Amber has a valid concern, but then I'm not color blind nor do I know anyone local to me to find out if they can see the color change on the tests.

Amber's concern is very valid.  I am not color blind and yet I have a very hard time judging the exact color shade of the various tests.

In some kits that can make a huge difference.

I wonder if titration based kits, where the color change is pretty dramatic, thus perhaps perceptible in shades of gray (you know it is done when no more change) would work ok?  The ones with the gradients, I can see as a problem, though the most common one for that is pH- and an inexpensive meter solves that problem.  Isn't the most common color blindness green-red distinction?