Zoas won't fully open

sen5241b

Some months ago I had a nitrate/phosphate spike and my zoas closed completely. I resolved the trate issue months ago but the zoas never fully reopened. Currently phosphates .01 and nitrates a 1 or 2 ppm. The zoas are reaching up stem-like towards the light even though they are getting at least 100 PAR. These same zoas grew like wild fire under metal halides. Anyone had this problem?

I can only speak for my zoas. I have like 20 kinds and all of them except for 2 act this way. If I move them or something changes they are grumpy and weird. Closed, raised etc. If I just let them be usually after a few weeks they are fine and return to normal. It seems as though mine are no where near death they just take a while to acclimate to slight changes. Zoas are a mystery to most. Also as far as opening and colors mine prefer a dirtier tank. Nitrates around 10ppm to 12 ppm ish. And phos at like .05-.08. My guess is yours are just adjusting and if their anything like mine that can take a while...

Edited by smokythemattman@gmail.com

I can only speak for my zoas. I have like 20 kinds and all of them except for 2 act this way. If I move them or something changes they are grumpy and weird. Closed, raised etc. If I just let them be usually after a few weeks they are fine and return to normal. It seems as though mine are no where near death they just take a while to acclimate to slight changes. Zoas are a mystery to most.

True. I read a dozen forums on closed zoas and, ruling out pests and high 'trates, there doesn't seem to be any common cause or pattern to it.