Green Hair or Turf Algae? + Treatment question

razzpatazzz

https://imgur.com/a/BifyY

So I've been trying to deal with this algae for a while and I was told it was a few different types of algae when I asked on another forum. I'm pretty sure it's not bryopsis since it doesn't have "fins" and I'm pretty sure it's turf algae but just wanted to confirm. It seems to grow in clumps and not get too long.

If it is turf algae, do you have any recommendations on how to treat it? I've tried various snails, urchins, and fish that eat algae but it's been untouched. I would like to leave taking out rocks as the very last resort if possible.

When you pull a clump off the rocks does it hold its form or does it turn into sloppy green goo when out the water? IME, hair algae has lost its form and turned into green goo out of the water and turn algae has held its form. This should help you identify the type of algae. It does look more like turf algae to me from the photos. The GHA in my tank is longer and more stringy looking.

I’m not going to be much help with treatment because the only time I have ever had to deal with turf algae it was just one tuft that I manually removed and it never came back. You could try Vibrant. I used this to treat GHA in my tank and it worked. Just be sure to stick with the dosing for a while once its gone to make sure its really gone. You may also have a cyano outbreak once the algae begins to die off. You could try turning up your skimmer to try and combat this.

When you pull a clump off the rocks does it hold its form or does it turn into sloppy green goo when out the water? IME, hair algae has lost its form and turned into green goo out of the water and turn algae has held its form. This should help you identify the type of algae. It does look more like turf algae to me from the photos. The GHA in my tank is longer and more stringy looking.

I’m not going to be much help with treatment because the only time I have ever had to deal with turf algae it was just one tuft that I manually removed and it never came back. You could try Vibrant. I used this to treat GHA in my tank and it worked. Just be sure to stick with the dosing for a while once its gone to make sure its really gone. You may also have a cyano outbreak once the algae begins to die off. You could try turning up your skimmer to try and combat this.

I'd say it holds it's pretty clumped up even out of water but it's not firm or anything. I tried manual removal early on but now it's basically everywhere on the rocks so that might be too hard. I'll look up vibrant, thanks for the suggestion

Have you tried the large Mexican Turbo snails? They have ate everything in their path for me.

I have  6 decent sized ones in my 75G but they don't seem to eat it as far as I can tell, at least not very much. I'm thinking about adding some fuzzy chitons and more turbo snails and seeing if that helps

Your description sounds a lot like Bryopsis.  It may or may not have the feathery appearance, which seems to depend on things like current and lighting.  The stuff in my cultures, both B. pennata and B. plumosa, only has the branches under certain circumstances.  If you are interested, I have a huge surplus of baby slugs, which will eat Bryopsis until it is gone.  Other herbivores tend not to touch it.  Where are you located?

Your description sounds a lot like Bryopsis.  It may or may not have the feathery appearance, which seems to depend on things like current and lighting.  The stuff in my cultures, both B. pennata and B. plumosa, only has the branches under certain circumstances.  If you are interested, I have a huge surplus of baby slugs, which will eat Bryopsis until it is gone.  Other herbivores tend not to touch it.  Where are you located?

I actually dosed Kent M mag to about 1800ppm to check if it was bryopsis and no reaction so far. It's only been about 4 days so I guess I'll try wait longer and see. I am located in Haymarket so it'd be a bit of a drive to get it from Silver Spring, perhaps at the next meeting we can arrange something? I am getting more mexican turbos through live aquaria and next week and seeing if they'll take care of it first.