Hanging Options?

.OptimusPrime.

I have a 48" Tek light and a 36" long tank 40 Breeder. I'd prefer to not spend money on a new fixture when this one works perfectly fine.

I wanted to use conduit and attach it to the back of my stand but the hanging points are too far apart for  a straight 90 bend on the conduit. 

I can hang them from the unfinished ceiling by placing 2x4 perpendicular inside the joist and hanging it that way.

Is there a cheaper alternative to the Giesemann wall brackets? Are there any other hanging options?

Thanks in advance

Here is how I extended my 90s when I had a bigger fixture. I put a drop in expansion anchor inside of 1/2" rigid. Once it was set in place I filled that void with epoxy just to make sure the thread would not pull out then drilled a crossbar and bolted it onto the end of the pipe.

post-2633811-0-88485100-1503692896_thumb.jpg

post-2633811-0-94806600-1503692948_thumb.jpg

John you're a genius. What length of a bolt did you end up going with for 1/2"? Was there any sagging on the bar? Can you link the exact one you used?

How far did you end up bending your pipe over the tank? How high off the water did they hang?

Just to make sure I understand, you put the bolt through both the crossbar and 90 and then nut the end causing the expansion into the 90? 

My apologies, I got busy working on my patio this weekend and forgot about this.

So I do not have a link for the exact one I used. I bought three sticks of 1/2" rigid pipe from lowes in the electric dept. It's a thicker wall pipe and does not flex at all with the fixture I use. Which currently is only a 36" four lamp ati with a 36" xho led mounted to it. While I was at lowes I used one of their 3/4 bender (because for 1/2" rigid that's what you need) to bend my 90s. A friend just tried doing it and was stopped for insurance purposes so be sneaky about it haha.

I attached a picture of my patio just because :)

post-2633811-0-79067300-1503932917_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Ford

This is the type of anchor I used for installing inside the pipe. I want to say I had to wrap some electric tape around the expansion part so it was snug going into the pipe. One it was snug and I knew I had enough thread popping out to blot my half inch pipe to the end I secured it and then filled up the pipe with a a small mount of epoxy so I felt o little better about the anchor not pulling out

post-2633811-0-71556900-1503933068_thumb.jpg

I should have uploaded these pictures to a web sharing site~

This is what I used to mount my pipe to my stand. I used 1/4" hardware to blot through my stand. I wouldn't trust wood screws.

post-2633811-0-51603500-1503933493_thumb.jpg

They sell hanging wire at Lowes or Home Depot's . You may have to drill your own holes in the light but they have different gauge wires to choose from if you need to get creative.

Thank you as far as the patio. That project is going to be the death of me haha

3 pallets of stone, 10 tons of stone dust, an 8" deep hole with some vibrating plate tamper action, 100% by myself. Well my 3 year old has helped a little.