Looking for advice on keeping Wartskin Frogfish

razzpatazzz

Thinking about getting a desktop AIO to keep one of these guys. Does anyone have any experience keeping them and have any advice for me? Current plan is to keep it alone in a 20 gallon. Is a skimmer recommended for this setup? I know some nano tanks don't use skimmer. I heard it is hard to get them on frozen, any tips on that? Thanks

clown9-4-07.jpg

Inappropriate reefer on YouTube is a member here. I'm not sure of his username here but here's a link.https://youtu.be/sFZ5FMSxyIU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pupchow and inappropriate reefer are one and the same.

Pupchow and inappropriate reefer are one and the same.

I was thinking that but just wasn't sure.

Hey there!  I love my frogfish but so far I have not had luck weaning my guy onto frozen (~3 months), I understand that some frogfish may never take to frozen so it is ok. In terms of diet, I feed mine gut loaded live ghost shrimp once every day or every other day depending on size, and a small damsel every three or four weeks.  Frogfish seems to have a reputation of not lasting more than one year in our tank, some people attribute it to improper diet so I am hoping the introduction of saltwater fish in it's diet would help. At the same time I will continue to try and wean my guy onto frozen for a larger variety.

For filtration, I have some MarinePure spheres and a Hydor Nano Skimmer in my 17g tank, while it does pull out some gunk, for the most part it is not very effective. I would recommend looking into a Tunze if your tank could fit one, or rely on mechanical filtration and water changes.  I sometimes add a filter pad temporarily if I see too much detritus.

If you can keep up with the frogfish's diet, keeping the little guy is pretty straight forward. Please let me know if you have any question, while I have not kept mine for long, I would  be happy to share what I have learned so far!