Need urgent help from clam experts! Clam spawning!

CK Reef

Hello guys,

I have a squamosa clam about 10-12 inches. She has been doing fine in my tank and fully opened. In the last hour, I noticed she's been blowing out smoke and make the water cloudy. I could tell she's spawning and usually it's a indicating sign of stress. My water is still stable, nothing changed. I'm gonna be so darn stressed if I lost that clam >_<.

LoL, did I really post the thread before finishing? Guess I was panicked... My questions are: Could the clam do that without being stressed? If the clam is stressed, is there anything I could do about it? I'm thinking about changing 20% of my water tonight and put some more carbon in. Now the whole bunch of my snails are doing the same thing too, just like a chain reaction....

Do you have a reason to believe that the clam is in poor health?  Is your tank's overall health declining?

If the answer is no, then I would assume the clam is healthy and it's spawning because that's what adult critters do.

Treat it like you overfed a large container of oyster eggs or other teeny food.  It will feed stuff in the tank, and the leftovers will quickly decay due to the small particle size.  Skim and monitor for a possible ammonia spike.  Keep a lookout for signs of low oxygen too.  I don't know that carbon will help much, but a water change will if things get out of whack.

Do you have a reason to believe that the clam is in poor health? Is your tank's overall health declining?

If the answer is no, then I would assume the clam is healthy and it's spawning because that's what adult critters do.

Treat it like you overfed a large container of oyster eggs or other teeny food. It will feed stuff in the tank, and the leftovers will quickly decay due to the small particle size. Skim and monitor for a possible ammonia spike. Keep a lookout for signs of low oxygen too. I don't know that carbon will help much, but a water change will if things get out of whack.

The clam has been doing fine and always opened widely. Everything else in the tank is doing great too. I'm watching the tank closely and skimmming wet at the moment. And thank you so mucg for reminding me about the oxygen depletion, I totally forgot about that. Hopefully everything would be ok :). I've attached the picture of him just 2 days ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snf0jtxhtjch0zs/20170729_192845.jpg?dl=0

Update on the clam. I went home from work today and found out my clam were dead. They were just fine in the morning, I checked them before going to work. They have been doing well since the spawning process so I thought every thing was fine. Everything else seem fine. Parameters are stable, temp swing about 1.5F.