Bacterial bloom question

arking_mark

I am having what appears to the a bacterial bloom in my tank. I used to get these went I was dosing carbon (vinegar).

I have switched to a much heavier feeding regime.

Based on the response of my tank, prior to the bloom, I was clearly under feeding my tank. Everything is growing like crazy and seems super happy.

Feed mix is: large pinch of Panta Nouri Polyps soaked in 4-5 drops of Selcon, 3/4in square portion of LRS Reef Frenzy Nano, 1 cube Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp, 3/4in square portion of Nutramar Ova, and 1/2in square portion ofRod's Fish eggs. All mix together in about 6oz of saltwater. 3-4 oz go to my DT over 2 days.

Am I right to think this is the cause? Or should I investigate further?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is this a bloom in the water column (milky water)? Or bacteria on surfaces? If the latter, is it a white film or red (like cyano)?

It's unusual for that to happen with regular feeding. However, if you have suddenly increased feeding, I guess it's possible. I'd keep an eye out on your ammonia and nitrate levels just to confirm. If you're using filter socks, you may want to rinse them out each day just in case they're trapping food that goes into the overflow.

Selcon is super contentrated amino acids; which means tons of available Nitrogen.  Not to mention too much selcon will cause claoudy water in smaller tanks that aren't afforded any protein skimming.  try feeding without the selcon for a week or two and see if the bloom diminishes.