TOTM Committee

surf&turf

(edited)

It is with much regret that I must step down from the TOTM. My position was advertising

and public relations. I have enjoyed it very much but work has taken more of my free

time.

With that being said, WAMAS needs someone to step in and take over. You would be responsible

for,

1. Posting a poll each month for the committee to vote on.

2. Encourage members to post pics of their systems and to nominate systems they have seen.

3. Notify winners.

4. Get the winners info to the respective people once it is complete.

Fire away if you have any questions. I will be available to help in the transition.

Edited by surf&turf

How much time does it require, Frank?

Sent from my phone

It really depends on how the club participates for that month. If you have a bunch of nominations, and members

post pics of their system. About a 1/2 hour the first part of the month posting a poll and about the same

at the end of month gathering the info and passing it along. When that doesn't happen it takes another hour

posting in the members tanks forum to get updates on their tanks.

So just an hour or two a month, folks. Please consider getting involved and helping out. TOTM is a team effort with well-defined roles, among them is this one that Frank's filled so well over the years. 

It really depends on how the club participates for that month. If you have a bunch of nominations, and members

post pics of their system. About a 1/2 hour the first part of the month posting a poll and about the same

at the end of month gathering the info and passing it along. When that doesn't happen it takes another hour

posting in the members tanks forum to get updates on their tanks.

I don't really know much about websites, but why not have a tab for a poll that will appear at the start of each month and then another tab for rolling submissions for TOTM and then someone manages it instead of doing this within posts. It might be too difficult, I was just thinking about how my college used blackboard and how automated everything on it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really know much about websites, but why not have a tab for a poll that will appear at the start of each month and then another tab for rolling submissions for TOTM and then someone manages it instead of doing this within posts. It might be too difficult, I was just thinking about how my college used blackboard and how automated everything on it is.

There already is a tab for TOTM nominations. It connects to a database. It is not done through posts. Every month we encourage people to make nominations using this link.

The monthly poll is visible to TOTM committee members in a separate forum not publicly visible. Committee members vote to select the tank to be featured.

For those that still need to understand more about how TOTM works, feel free to ask questions. Let me try to quickly encapsulate it:

1) The TOTM team for any given month is built around three distinct roles. Each role has a job that is documented in a process description. The roles are 

• Advertising and Public Relations (A&PR)
  • Picture Processor (PP)
  • HTML Processor (HP)

A fourth role is currently filled by me - I upload the files to the server and typically make the announcement (which would normally be a A&PR responsibility, but since I make the last changes,  it's just easier to do it that way).

2) The A&PR role take the tanks that were nominated in the past month (or more if needed) and assembles a poll for the committee to consider. Committee members vote and a tank is selected. The A&PR then reaches out to the winner to notify them of their selection.

3) Assuming they agree to be featured, they take pictures of their tank and answer our standard questions that we use to generate the feature. They are given a deadline to provide A&PR with both.

4) A&PR passes the pictures on to the PP. The PP processes the pictures to explicitly defined formats used in the feature. When finished the pictures are passed back to the A&PR (and often copying me so that I have them).

5) A&PR passes the completed questionaire to the HP. The HP cuts and pastes (edits) a standard PHP template that we have for the TOTM feature. The resulting file is passed back to the A&PR (copying me).

6) I upload the pictures and the PHP (HTML) file to the server. I perform a quick check and make changes to a few links. Then, if all is well, I make the TOTM announcement.

The whole process is set up so that it takes each person about an hour (or two at most) a month. It's actually a pretty well-oiled machine and rather fun to see it happen so smoothly.

So, if you like the feature, and like the club and want to find a way to give-back to the community, please consider joining the TOTM team. TOTM is part of the glue that binds our community and is, more than anything, a way for us to share our accomplishments and challenges as we journey through this shared experience together.