Trouble with favia, leptastrea, chalice..

GOSKN5

For the last few months I have had an issue with chalice, leptastrea, favia etc...

My tank is mixed reef and has tons of montipora, shrooms, zoas, birdsnest, softies, euphyllias, etc.. all doing fine and growing...

But in the last month I have lost 2 chalice, one one the way out.. losing a portion of a nice favia, leptastrea frag, acan enchinata... I also noticed a small spot on my space invaders pectinia.. which I have had for almost a year...

My parameters are all stable and in order

Alk- 9

Cal- 450

Mag- 1400

Using red Sea test kit and dosing 2 part daily..

Running 4 t5 bulbs with an ice cap ballast and a 150w blue LED strip.. 120 gallon tank.. all corals affected are in the lower half of tank... (pectinia about halfway up)...

Any thoughts?? Here are some bad pics of the affected corals..

eadd744fa712f16db26aacf9bd7dec4b.jpg

d5e113fb35fc396e96c641dd297d860d.jpg

7c35224583a527257332546dc61f5efa.jpg

FTS

ae3b43aea35b0d8c3fdc98e405466a9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bulbs are all less than 4 months.. everything else doing fine... the FTS is current showing everything open and happy..

How old were the bulbs you switched from ad did you so them all at once.

Are they close it relation to each other or scattered throughout the tank?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by khh27

My first thought was a light issue.  Did you change anything that could have caused flow to change? Re-positioned powerheads, pumps?  

+1 to this.

Also maybe bring the alk down to 8?

They are scattered throughout the tank and in different types of flow.. also it's a bunch of softies etc so flow is not overly strong in any one area...

Some of the corals were here before the light switch and some after... also went from LEDS to T5 but again only 4 bulbs and a few of the affected corals were added after this change...

They are scattered throughout the tank and in different types of flow.. also it's a bunch of softies etc so flow is not overly strong in any one area...

Some of the corals were here before the light switch and some after... also went from LEDS to T5 but again only 4 bulbs and a few of the affected corals were added after this change...

Actually just had a thought, are you driving these t5's with an Icecap 660?   That could be causing a nasty high par change if you are. 

Yes but it's only 4 bulbs and these were all at the bottom of a tank.. approximately 30" below the lights... some even in shaded areas... the chalice is under an overhanging rock...

Yes but it's only 4 bulbs and these were all at the bottom of a tank.. approximately 30" below the lights... some even in shaded areas... the chalice is under an overhanging rock...

I would bet your probably getting 300-400 par on your sandbed running 4x 54w t5's on an icecap 660.  That Icecap is running those bulbs at 80 watts if I remember right.

Also just a side tangent, I would get some fans flowing on the bulbs so they don't get a super short lifespan (5-6 months).

... flow is not overly strong in any one area...

Members have seen SPS recede because flow wasn't strong enough? Was flow on the troubled corals reduced?

I did change the flow to a pulse from a more constant flow.. I still am doubtful this is the cause as they are located from one tank end to another...

I have a feeling your tank might be a tad to clean. I see some small fish, but nothing to produce some coral food (fish poo). Whats your skimmer rated for this system? 

I have a feeling your tank might be a tad to clean. I see some small fish, but nothing to produce some coral food (fish poo). Whats your skimmer rated for this system?

I may be leaning that way too.. although softies seem to do well.. shrooms, xenia, cloves, zoas etc...

There are 18 fish in the tank.. but the chromis is by far the largest.. the rest all being under 2 or 3 inches...

Skimmer is big.. rated for 350 I think... also run gfo, filter socks, barebottom, weekly water changes etc... so it's likely fairly low nutrients... I think I have such fear of algae I go to extremes at times haha..