Tank move & modification questions

Pat_13

I am new (6+ months) and would like someone with some experience to give me their input.

I have a used 75G that I will be moving my 55G into. The 55G has 1.5

Good day Pat and welcome to WAMAS!

Membership here you will find is your best investment in this hobby! Where are you located?

In the future are you going to do more corals (Softies, Zoo's, Leathers, LPS, SPS Corals?) or stay with Leathers? Current equipment list, could be more requirements with a bigger tank: Skimmer, size sump, filtration, lighting, Return pumps, powerheads for water movement in tank?

I recently sold my 75g and can help you on this one!

First before you doing anything on transferring over, get your equipment where you want it now, not after the move, patience is the key in this hobby!

Plumbing:

I would put 2 - 1 1/2" bulkheads in for overflows and use PVC fittings to adjust the heights. This would take care of your tank outflow and you would want them to drain into a sump either below in the stand or into another area (room).

Water Returns:

Numerous choices here and depending on budget:

Returning the water to tank with two 1 1/2" bulkheads draining to the sum, I would recommend a pump in the 1500gph range either Internal or external pumps. With this size pump, you can "T" it off with one section running to your skimmer using plumbing pieces like Union Fittings, Ball Valves, etc. The other section to return water to tank. (Either using SCWD's and U-Tubes or better yet Sea Swirls

Now back to your first question, after everything is setup with your new tank, add RO/DI water, you do have one right? If not, seriously recommend getting one! Ebay usually has some good ones offered for around $150 delivered.

Fill tank about 2/3 full with salt water and add remaining water when your doing your excess water from changes from 55g tank. Add a powerhead to stir, either and again depending on budget: Tunze, Seio or Maxi-Jet1200 in that order.

Now you should be ready to add sand and rocks. Another subject for later!

Congrats on new tank!

Howard

:cheers:

oh and take pictures :wink:

Not to worry, you are not the only one in this position. I too am in the middle of such a move. I am selling my townhome and have moved into a new home. With my townhome on the market and the market being is it is, this is giving me the option of taking things slow. Anyway, I too am moving from an exiting 55 to a larger tank

old tank....55, HOB fuge, aqua medic 1000 w/o sump

new tank 90 (reef-ready) w/29 gal sump

current status

setup new 90 (still playing w/ pluming....forgot to add a ball-valve so flow in from sump to tank was more than from tank to sump thanks to an eheim 1262) added LS and base rock, RO/DI salt water, 2x MJ 1200 PHs and have been running for 2 weeks like that to cycle. Have been testing to see how cycle in progressing. I have been removing some LS out of the 55 along with a few large pieces of LR from the 55 (yes fish are still in the 55 along with my HOB fuge) and adding them to the 90.

I think I am on the right path...